A stupid but irritating Mail Trash Box problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ukuleleman, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ukuleleman macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Could you help me resolve this issue?

I cannot put anything into my trash bin, if I try I get the following message

The destination mailbox “Trash - (my e-mail address)” does not allow messages to be moved to it.

To the best of my knowledge I have not altered anything to cause this message to pop up.

If I create another Trash folder I can put unwanted mail into it and delete it, but I have to drag and drop every unwanted mail into the new trash bin first before emptying it which is a PITA!

I have searched the FAQs and several threads but cannot come up with the answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

When you make a new trash folder, try going to Mailbox-->Use This Mailbox For and choose "trash".

3. ukuleleman thread starter macrumors member

blocked trash bin

Thanks for that, but it still leaves me with a useless trash bin that I can't delete, Ideally I would like to get it working again, I just can't figure out why it doesn't work.

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

If you highlight the Trash bin and control + click on it, go to "get account info", then look under the "mailbox behaviors" and the bottom most field should be checked, as in the picture below.

[​IMG]

5. ukuleleman thread starter macrumors member

I tried it.

Thanks for that also, although I'm sorry to say it didn't work. I did experiment a bit though and found that if I take the tick out of the box I can then delete my unwanted mail but it immediately deletes it and doesn't attempt to send it to the trash bin, so there is no room for error, one click and it's gone!