iPad A stupid response from registered Apple repair service!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Steve-Jobs, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi all, I have returned my iPad 4 to the store I bought few weeks ago because of an unresponsive screen after reboot. The iPad screen is unresponsive for upto 30 sec. So didn't let me swipe to unlock or anything pretty much frozen. I took it back and they sent it to a registered Apple repair service as we have no Apple in New Zealand.
    Today I've been told that its fixed and ready to pick up.
    Went to store, turned the iPad on and it was doing exactly the same thing. And the engineer put a note saying that its normal for iPad to initially not respond to slide to unlock screen for few seconds and I don't need to turn my iPad off anyway, instead I should put it into sleep mode. I was so pissed off! what kind of comment is that! And it's up to me what to do with my iPad I can turn it off or put into sleep mode as its not mentioned/suggested by Apple itself I shouldn't turn iPad off. I said to the guy that they can take it back as I'm not signing anything. Even he was surprised that they wrote that note!
    I'm sure none of your iPads freeze for 30 sec after reboot and I'm sure it's not mentioned in Apple warranty leaflet that I shouldn't turn my iPad off and freezing is normal!
    The store I bought it from is going to contact their manager and let me know.
    I also tried every single iPad in store and see if they're doing any lagging. Nope none!
    The only thing is I'm running 6.1.3 and it might be the reason. They didn't ever bother restoring it!
    What are you thoughts any suggestions?

Cheers

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

They can't "restore it", can they? Apple's not signing 6.1.3 any more. I guess they could do a "Erase all Content and Settings". Did you try that?

3. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

He's trolling. He's saying his ipad should turn on and off instantly, when he completely shuts it down.

4. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

You're a great reader. :rolleyes:

He's saying that after turning his iPad on, the screen is unresponsive for 30 seconds, which is definitely a problem. And to make that sentence a little more clear, those 30 seconds are not WHILE the iPad is turning on, the 30 seconds start after the lock screen appears.

5. Steve-Jobs, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

When I took the ipad first, I've requested the firmware to be kept at 6.1.3. But I also said they can restore it to 7 if they have to. They obviously didn't. The repairer wrote a note and said I shouldn't turn the iPad off anyway and its normal for ipad to freeze 30 sec after reboot. That is rubbish! Even if I don't turn it off it shouldn't freeze after reboot and work straight away don't you think?

Cheers

----------

Thanks for that. I tried to ignore that reply at all :) I'm now wondering if the engineer got it same way as him and think this douchebag wants the iPad to start straight away! I hope he didn't. I'm sure they did turn it off and on. I'm sure they're not that stupid :)

Not signing 6 means they can't update to 7? If they thought that was the case they should've done it and let me know that they updated to 7. I didn't do erase all content and settings.

Cheers

6. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'm sorry if you weren't trolling, it really seemed as if you were. Hopefully your issue gets resolved.

7. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

As you can see I'm not. Thank you. I'm just pissed off with their response as there's clearly a fault with the device and they can't tell me what to and not to do with it!

any other suggestions advice?

Cheers

8. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Well, the most obvious one would be, uninstall all your tweaks and apps, use Semi-Restore or iLexrat.

Remove as much as you can and see if it fixes. If not, restore your device to 7. But as far as actual support goes, if your repair guy does that, then you are on your own. So do everything you can on your own first, if not, sell it off and buy a new one.

30sec seems abnormal to me.

9. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for the reply. Sorry forgot to mention its not jailbroken. I didn't want to restore to 7 as I thought they might have a different way to fix it before restoring.
    I'm not touching that iPad as long as it is fixed completely or replaced still under warranty so why would I take it back?

Cheers

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

You should have updated to iOS7.

The first thing Applecare generally ask is that you are running the latest software.

I don't doubt that you had a problem, but updating the firmware, especially with the size of the update iOS7 is, it may have fixed the issue.

As a side note, the Apple advisor was right to advise you to put the iPad to sleep, and not turn it off, not because turning it off is wrong, but because it will make your life a little bit easier, and the iPad would always be ready for you.

Hope you have better luck next time you get one. :)

11. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Sorry, I just assumed, because thats one of the reasons that people stay on ios6 so adamantly. Do a full restore on the ipad, it might fix it, it might not, but thats the first thing apple tech *should* have done anyways.

12. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought and knew they'd update to 7 straight away. but they obviously didn't even bother!
    You might be right about not turning it off and putting it into sleep mode but that doesn't mean that I have to accept that it has to freeze 30 sec.
    I paid $$$ for it and it's my right to have a device working flawlessly.

Cheers

No, I kept it on 6 because I'm waiting (hoping) for a JB. I should've tried to fix it myself before sending it. Now I have to deal with their stupid bureaucracy! But I can assure you I'm not taking it back unless that issue is solved. There's definitely a fault and they're getting paid to fix it not to muck around!

Cheers

13. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi here's the update. I'd like some opinion if possible.

So got the iPad back yesterday and been told by the repairer that iPad was sometimes stuck in battery trap and slow to response command. and they replaced the service parts or products might be new or equivalent.
    I turned it on at home and now it has a 5-6 sec delay instead of 30. and I've been waiting for them to fix it for 2 weeks. I need it for work and I'm soo pissed off that now I have to return it back tomorrow and wait for another week or two.
    I reset all the settings but nothing changed. Just a reminder it only freezes after reboot and I'm running 6.1.3. Also another thing is the iPad gets so hot when I'm using it and also the charger gets really hot too.
    My plan is to take it back to store tomorrow and ask for a new one as it's not my problem that the service people can't fix it properly I bought it from that store so it's their responsibility I deal with them not the service. Again, it's not from Apple, we don't have apple in New Zealand so it's from a registered service repairer.

Any thoughts on that? What shall I do? Shall I deal with it and live with a 5 sec freeze after reboot and swear everytime or take it back tomorrow?
    ALso do you think it'll help if I restore to 7?

Cheers

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My ipad1 and iPhone 4 both can do that for about 30 seconds. It isn't everytime though.

5-6 seconds seems fine to me, I just assume it is finishing the reboot...

But hey, yu are the one using it, so take it back if you feel it still isn't correct!

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My Mini 1 is still on iOS6 due to the jail break so I'll give you my perspective.

I just restarted mine and there is a 2-3 seconds of the "slide" screen being unresponsive before I can use it. I never noticed this before because I seldom turn it off. The times that I have restarted it I'm not trying to use it the moment that screen appears so it doesn't bother me. So this, in and of itself, would not be reason enough for me to try get it fixed.

Its your device and you have every right to turn it off instead of putting it to sleep. Life is too short to swear at the computer you use everyday so your options are...

Trying to get it fixed further or replaced with all the hassles that involves.

Learning to deal with it by turning it on before you need to start using it.

Putting to to sleep instead of turning it off.

Installing iOS7 with the hope that fixes it.

PS. You were right to complain initially as 30 of an unresponsive screen is ridiculous.

16. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

such a great reply, thank you for that! 5 sec doesn't seem much when you compare to 30sec but I still think that they did a very dodgy job with fixing it.
    And what makes me more angry is they gave me a faulty charger, it gets too hot, you seriously can't touch it and the cable is ripped open that you can see the wires, just for that reason I'm taking it back.
    Next time will never buy an Apple product from another store!

17. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Just got back from the store. They replaced it with an Air. they're going to replace the case for free too, very good customer service.
    After reading all the feedback about the Air and as an IOS6 fan wasn't sure about getting an Air at first place, but I must say Air feels very light and looks sexier than the 4. Now lets see how the 7 works :)

thank you everyone for their opinions, I appreciate the feedback in these forums and always take it into consideration.

Another happy Macrumors and Apple user :)