A Suggestion For iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SailorTom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. SailorTom macrumors regular

I have an idea for iTunes, which could perhaps be developed as a plugin, and as I don't have the knowledge or time to create it myself, I'm putting out for discussion.

What I could really do with is a way of preventing iTunes playing music depending on what the current time is. For instance I have a load of Christmas songs, which is great in the run up, but I don't want them playing in shuffle the rest of the year, i.e I want them date limited.

Maybe there is already a solution for this, but not that I've heard of?

2. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Create a playlist that excludes Christmas songs.

3. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I don't know if that kind of functionality is possible as a plugin.

One possible workaround is to create a playlist with all your christmas songs in. You can then Cmd + click on one checkbox, and it will uncheck all those songs in that playlist. When iTunes shuffles, it misses out any unchecked songs.

4. SailorTom thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, for me creating a playlist of my whole library except christmas songs isn't going to work, but it is a valid suggestion.

As for unchecking songs, I know what you mean, but I've never used that feature, and now the checkboxes seem to have disappeared from the iTunes interface. I can't see them in any view, and there doesn't seem to be an option to show them that I can find. Assuming I could find the checkboxes to uncheck, would this approach work for iTunes DJ as well?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's exactly how I manage my Christmas list. All you need to do is change all your Christmas songs to the same genre (I use Christmas) then only show that genre and deselect the checkbox by cmd clicking one and they all uncheck. Then every year it's one and done.

6. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

iTunes > Preferences > General > Show List Checkboxes

As for iTunes DJ, I don't use it so I'm not sure. I imagine it would work the same though!

Attached Files:

7. SailorTom thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I really am blind.

I never used to use iTunes DJ, but now it's my preferred method of shuffling. Shuffle through my whole library but can delete tracks that I'm not in the mood to listen to, or change the order to have a group of rock tracks for example. Just needs a bit of attention every so often.

P.S Thanks for the help!

8. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Use grouping and smart playlists. Works like a charm. :)

Attached Files: