A Surprising Benefit of Installing a SSD :O

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Psyfuzz, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Just today jumped from a stock 500GB 5400 drive to a 850 Pro SSD.

Speed and performance jumps aside, I can't believe how much quieter the laptop is! I used to think the laptop was noisy, turned out just to be the hard drive whirling away. Now the laptop's literally silent.

Put the 5400 drive in a caddy next to me and every time I plug it in that noise comes back.

Long live the SSD! :roll eyes: :D

2. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I agree, even though this came with an SSD I remember how much noise the whirring and clicking of a mechanical HDD could make.
    Low power consumption, totally silent operation, extremely robust and reliable, unbelievably fast... Just a question of cost, other than that they are just so much better than HDD's its a non contest.

3. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I remember my first SSD, and how I was stunned at the performance upgrade it brought to my laptop.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Whenever I use a Mac with an HDD the increased noise level becomes apparent to me. Makes me think of the OP in another thread complaining about a noisy HDD and shooting down all suggestions of an SSD. They just couldn't get the picture and eventually gave up.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I remember that thread :D

This is the guy who started it and eventually got shouted off his own thread by others: http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=908974

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

He should go back to using a typewriter :)