A Surprising Benefit of Installing a SSD :O

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Just today jumped from a stock 500GB 5400 drive to a 850 Pro SSD.

Speed and performance jumps aside, I can't believe how much quieter the laptop is! I used to think the laptop was noisy, turned out just to be the hard drive whirling away. Now the laptop's literally silent.

Put the 5400 drive in a caddy next to me and every time I plug it in that noise comes back.

Long live the SSD! :roll eyes: :D

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2013
I agree, even though this came with an SSD I remember how much noise the whirring and clicking of a mechanical HDD could make.
Low power consumption, totally silent operation, extremely robust and reliable, unbelievably fast... Just a question of cost, other than that they are just so much better than HDD's its a non contest.

JamesMike

macrumors demi-god
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I remember my first SSD, and how I was stunned at the performance upgrade it brought to my laptop.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Whenever I use a Mac with an HDD the increased noise level becomes apparent to me. Makes me think of the OP in another thread complaining about a noisy HDD and shooting down all suggestions of an SSD. They just couldn't get the picture and eventually gave up.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Whenever I use a Mac with an HDD the increased noise level becomes apparent to me. Makes me think of the OP in another thread complaining about a noisy HDD and shooting down all suggestions of an SSD. They just couldn't get the picture and eventually gave up.
I remember that thread :D

This is the guy who started it and eventually got shouted off his own thread by others: http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=908974