Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oduinnin

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Planet Earth
Just double click the disk image. It will open, drag the application program inside to your Applications folder. Then, drag the disk image to the trash, which will show up as an eject button. Empty the trash. You're done. :)

Sorry, I don't know how this double posted. I also don't know how to delete the 2nd post. :confused:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I've always found the emphasis on "switching" that's touted around here to be a bit ridiculous, as though one's choice of platform is some sort of religious conviction. Have we bought into Apple's marketing hype a bit too much?

I agree wholeheartedly! I am a diehard Mac user but when I left Windows (back in Win 98 days) and purchased a Mac I never looked at myself as a "Switcher". It was just like buying either a new car or new furniture for my home. This "Switcher" thing needs to finally end. To all the newbie Mac users, you are not switching you are still using an internet computer but just a different one than you had before. It's no big deal to change software as most of it is the same on both platforms so just enjoy the new OS as most of us do but let the switcher pronoun go. :)

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
osx still crashes on me, i manage to crash macs way to easy for some reason,

and the file sorting system really does piss me off i prefer how windows sorts all the folders in one categorie then the files

and how the printing options dont offer draft prints (i always have to print on full toner ouch)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

and the file sorting system really does piss me off i prefer how windows sorts all the folders in one categorie then the files

and how the printing options dont offer draft prints (i always have to print on full toner ouch)

Spoken from a true Windows fanboy, has everything bad to say about the Macintosh and only blind and biased praise for Bill Gate's Windows. :p

beate

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007

Wow - I use both platforms and I think Windows file sorting system is awful. Hate it immensely! To each his own....

As for the printing issue - next time you go to print, change the settings under "copies & pages". Depending on your printer, change quality settings as options provide. Then go to "Presets" and save the setting, calling it "draft" or whatever. I have various settings for all my printers to save toner and ink (or not). You can switch back and forth using the standard setting or the one you created, depending on the result you want.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Im a switcher aswell and i am enjoing the new and great imac, my only complaint is that whenever an application downlaods, it downloads straight teh the desktop and whenever i open the appication a while disc thing shows up, how do i fix that??

Just double click the disk image. It will open, drag the application program inside to your Applications folder. Then, drag the disk image to the trash, which will show up as an eject button. Empty the trash. You're done. :)

i seriously think there should be a "beginners guide to DMG's and installing Apps" thingo. could anyone be bothered? ???;)

Caezar

macrumors 6502
my only complaint is that whenever an application downlaods, it downloads straight teh the desktop

In the Preferences menu of your web browser (such as Safari or Firefox) you can define where you want downloads to be saved.

I created a dedicated folder on my desktop (called Downloads), where I save all my downloads. This way, I don't have files scattered on my desktop.

driver.joe

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
New York
So Happy

Hi people, I've had my new and first iMac a week now, WOW.
Will never go back to PC's. Installing software so easy and no reboot. I even got the mouse to right click. I put windows vista on my mac with parallels just in case I got home sick but I see that I don't need it!!! I have the 2.4, 20" with 2 gig's ram. So far everything I used to do with PC I'm able to do with iMac and better. Very Happy everyboby should just try them. :apple::D

RRK

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
USA/Ohio/Columbus
I agree wholeheartedly! I am a diehard Mac user but when I left Windows (back in Win 98 days) and purchased a Mac I never looked at myself as a "Switcher".

Sorry but what you describe here is being a "switcher". The term was defined by Apple as a campaign to bring Windows users to the Macintosh. It worked on you.

It was just like buying either a new car or new furniture for my home. This "Switcher" thing needs to finally end. To all the newbie Mac users, you are not switching you are still using an internet computer but just a different one than you had before. It's no big deal to change software as most of it is the same on both platforms so just enjoy the new OS as most of us do but let the switcher pronoun go. :)

"Internet computers", as you call them, are very powerful machines. The way that the OS uses that hardware is actually a very big deal, as you could observe from the game benchmarking between bootcamp and OS X, for example.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Regarding the mouse - I know where you are coming from but you might not be aware of one thing. See if you run windows via boot camp or parallels/vmware then you may be surprised to know that you can "right click" by pressing the upper right corner of the mouse. I presume it has a switch on each side or something. I do like the scroll wheel and the ability to activate expose and dashboard. You can also customise the functions a bit if you need to.

It's the Boot Camp windows drivers that allow all of the Apple hardware to run so well in Windows.

Also, in both Windows and OSX, the mouse does a right click when your fingers are not on the left side. So if your index finger is touching the mouse when you do a right click, it won't recognize it.

BTW I love my BT might mouse.

bimmer10

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
And I am another first timer to Mac. Been working with windows since 3.1. Just purchased the 24" iMac with 1gb, 320gb HD, 2.4 ghz. I ordered additional memory from Crucial.

I agree 100% with OP, aside from learning the differences of the Mac OS and how to get me way around the system all I can say is WOW. Its an amazingly simple OS to work with once you throughout ALL your Windows habits. I will eventually load WinXP Pro on it for my banking software (MS Money).

I'm now a true Mac fan, can't wait for Leapord to be released.

Oddly enough, the combination of buying and iPhone and the new iMac hardware release finally pushed me over.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
And I am another first timer to Mac. Been working with windows since 3.1. Just purchased the 24" iMac with 1gb, 320gb HD, 2.4 ghz. I ordered additional memory from Crucial.

I agree 100% with OP, aside from learning the differences of the Mac OS and how to get me way around the system all I can say is WOW. Its an amazingly simple OS to work with once you throughout ALL your Windows habits. I will eventually load WinXP Pro on it for my banking software (MS Money).

I'm now a true Mac fan, can't wait for Leapord to be released.

Oddly enough, the combination of buying and iPhone and the new iMac hardware release finally pushed me over.

same here - it was the iPhone (and a pain in the ass vista computer) that caused me to switch. i love that a program is 1 icon - and not a bunch of files installing themselves all over the place messing up other settings - installing additional stuff that i don't want installed.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Ditto for me...made the switch when the new iMacs came out. I absolutely love it. I have VMWare to do work stuff, but that's the only time I leave OS X. Appears quite a few of us have a made "the switch".

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
This thread just makes me want to go out today and pick up the new imac! I will be buying the 24" 2.4 this or next week. I too am a lifetime windows user. The most I ever used a mac was in the mac store on occassion over the last year or so. I was very very close to buying a macbook last October but was going to hold out and see what the spring brought. I couldn't afford the new machine then but now with the new imac I am glad I waited. It looks amazing and I can't wait to get it. These types of threads making the waiting torture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.