A tale of 2 iPhone's

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdzialak, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jdzialak macrumors regular

So last week, my 2.5 yr old 3GS stopped holding a battery charge, and died suddenly, several times.
    So, being on T-Mobile, I sourced a used iPhone 4 that was factory unlocked.
    While I was waiting for it to be shipped, a good friend of mine who works at an AT&T store, gave me his 6mos old 4, that was locked. (he owed me a favor).

While waiting for the Factory unlocked one, SAM came out and I successfully unlocked his. I used it for 2-3 days and LOVED it. Not thrilled about the tethered JB, but not a big deal. I figured I'd sell it once the factory unlocked one arrived, since its less of a headache being an actual factory unlock, and not hacked...no fear of OS updates, etc...
    It arrives. I do a fresh restore. Then decide I'll restore from the other 4 backup, since all of my apps, settings, are gonna get imported over, including the MMS setting I had to use iBot for, etc, that I just spent 3 days on, to work on T-Mobile.

The phones are now setup identically.

I don't like the Factory unlocked one.

The screen has a yellowish hue, the volume of alerts and ringtones are muffled a bit and quieter, the vibrate is lower pitched and not as aggressive. And the proximity sensor is weird...I've accidentally turned on speaker, or muted calls 3 times in 2 days. Maybe the other one is the same, but the NEVER happened on my 3GS.

What to do.. Prob easier to keep the JB one, and sell the FU.

Not looking for any real advice, here, since only I can decide. Just telling you my experience.
    Great forum, here.

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

[​IMG]

3. BEN779 macrumors 6502

BEN779

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Sell the FU one I guess? I find it weird that it took you three days to get MMS working as it's a 5 minute fix.. D: Do whatever works man haha. Jailbroken is always better anyways.

5. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

sorry..3 days to get the phone the way i wanted...not just MMS. Like all the new settings in OS 5.1 that were new to ME.
    And 3 days was prob actually 3 hrs over 2 days.

Is this a help forum, or just a lot of experts frustrated with excited iPhone newbies?:)

----------

I guess i was wondering about the quality control? The 2 phones have some sizable differences in volume and screen. Maybe not many folks actually compare 2, side by side? Or its a known issue and i missed it here?

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Doesn't sound like you're looking for a help forum, either... I wouldn't take it too seriously - at least speaking for myself, I'm just busting your balls a bit. All in good fun - good luck with the phone!

7. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

...Made my day lol

8. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Remember, if for any reason you need to change your SIM card, the SAM unlocked one will be locked again. And Apple is closing the hole now, according to MuscleNerd (on twitter), so the SAM unlock window was only a few days :(

Fortunately, unlocked phones will remain ulocked, as long as you do not change the sim