A tale of two cities - sparknotes vs. reading

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techlover828, Aug 15, 2009.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Anyone happen to read both or compare the two? I don't mind reading by any means, but I have a so much to do by the end of the summer and I just have to write an essay on it. Also after reading the first few chapters it's clear dicken's isn't a light writer by any stretch of the imagination as everyone I'm sure knows. Just looking for some feedback I'll probably end up reading some and then switching to sparknotes the day before school. :eek:

2. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I had to read A Tale of Two Cities for my freshmen year Honors English. A Tale of Two Cities is definitely one of those books you have to read; Sparnotes definitely doesn't cut it (at least for me.) I would recommend reading the book, then going back after each chapter and reading the Sparknotes to make sure you understand it. I learned never to trust Sparknotes for summaries or essay writing, but more for a review. Whatever you choose to do, good luck on your essay. :)

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

that's what I was afraid of... thanks for the info

4. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

yeah. you will be sorry if you use sparknotes. btw its not that bad. the 1st 2 parts are pretty bad but the second actually is good and makes sense.

5. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

alright I guess I'll get reading...

6. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I've got to read the same book for Academic Decathalon because this year's subject is the French Revolution. I've only read 18 pages and it is almost as bad as The Scarlet Letter (for AP English). That, and the fact that I only have a whopping 8 days to read it before school starts.
    I guess you should read it though, if you can to get the full effect of the book.

Edit: Don't you just LOVE summer reading? :D;)

7. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

heres a tip. why dont u use the sparknotes WITH the book itself. buy the sparknotes book and read it together. you will understand more of it. my teacher last year helped us go through it and explained every chapter. i guess i am luckier than you guys.

8. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

anyone want to quickly answer what flies and mist represent in this book? I have no clue.