A Tale of Two MBPs (and two ACDs)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fredfnord, Apr 7, 2012.

1. fredfnord macrumors regular

My SO and each have a MacBook Pro. Hers is vintage 2007-ish, so non-unibody but Core 2 Duo. Mine is from 2009.

We also each have an Apple Cinema Display. Hers is the original Apple-Display-Connector 22" Apple Cinema Display, and mine is the 23" ADC Apple Cinema Display HD. Yes, the plastic one. Yes, they're both ancient. Yes, they both have the ADC-to-DVI power supply thingies from Apple.

When I plug either of the two computers into my 23" display, they work fine together.

When I plug my computer into the 22" display, they work fine together. (Damn nice picture, too.)

When I plug my girlfriend's computer into the 22" display, it seems to have absolutely no idea that a display has been connected. No flash, no indication of any power-on on the monitor, temporary or otherwise. No lines in the system.log file. Literally no indication that it is plugged in at all.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I have tried. Please give them a quick look before you tell me to (e.g.) zap the PRAM.

* As noted above, I tried the 22" display with my laptop. Works fine.
    * As noted above, I tried the 23" display with her laptop. Works fine.
    * Tried plugging the display in while the laptop was off, then turning it on.
    * Tried plugging the display in while laptop was asleep, then waking it.
    * Tried plugging the display in while laptop was awake.
    * Tried pushing the display power button while it was plugged into her laptop.
    * Tried the 'detect displays' button in the System Preferences.
    * Tried zapping the PRAM
    * Tried resetting the power management unit.
    * Tried unplugging/replugging display power while connected to the laptop.
    * Tried swapping the two power adaptors.

(When I swapped the two power supplies, the problem followed the monitor, not the power supply.)

So yeah. Does anyone else find this one as weird as I do?

2. fredfnord thread starter macrumors regular

No luck

Posted this on the Apple message boards. Nobody there had a clue either.

Doesn't anyone out there use an Apple Cinema Display 22" with a 2008-ish MacBook Pro?