A Ten-Minute Silent Song Is Soaring Up the iTunes Charts

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

For some vehicles, when an iPhone is plugged into the car's USB port music playback begins automatically, and it always starts in alphabetical order at the top of the user's iTunes library. Because of this, many users will hear the same song, usually beginning with an "A," over and over again each time they plug their iPhone into their car. This week, a potential solution to that problem has been soaring up the iTunes charts in the form of a ten-minute silent song called "A a a a a Very Good Song" [Direct Link].

Created by Samir Mezrahi, the song allows users a full nine minutes and fifty-eight seconds to find the song they actually want to hear after connecting their iPhone to their car through USB. Mezrahi is charging $0.99 for each download of the music-less track, although Apple Music subscribers can simply add the song into their library for free.

[​IMG]

A a a a a Very Good Song launched on iTunes on Wednesday, August 9, and as of the writing of this article it sits at #46 on iTunes' Top Songs chart. The song has climbed 21 spots in under a day, when Engadget reported that it was at #67 early on August 10. If it continues to climb, the song will surpass artists like Ed Sheeran, Kendrick Lamar, and Miley Cyrus.

For any CarPlay users, or for those who connect to their vehicle through Bluetooth, the automatic iTunes playback phenomenon is not as much of an issue. For those who do face the problem, it's been discovered within a wide array of different brands and car systems. As one Redditor pointed out, for users who don't have an Apple Music subscription and who would prefer not to pay $0.99 for a ten-minute silent track, they can also make a silent recording of their own and add it to iTunes.

Article Link: A Ten-Minute Silent Song Is Soaring Up the iTunes Charts

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

4. AppleFan91, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017

AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Maybe Apple will start to pay attention lol. So annoying that it auto plays the same song over and over again. Why not just require my input to play a song?

5. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

I love this. Shouldn’t have to have it in the first place, but I just added it on Apple Music.

6. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

This speaks to a critical engineering problem, but hey, someone intelligent is going to be very rich. There's literally no situation where anyone would want to listen to music alphabetically by title.

7. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I can’t find it on AM dang it!! Lol

Edit: Nvm, I found it by searching for “Very good song” lol

8. Coldsmoke55 macrumors newbie

Coldsmoke55

This is one of the most stupid things I've heard of in quite some time. If you want silence, there's this thing called the power button on your radio. As an alternative, you can hit the "play" button to pause your music too. Paying .99 for a blank file to play silence is the height of laziness. Astounding.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

My car randomly plays a song, so this won't help. If I last used Apple Music, that opens. If I last used Amazon Music, that opens. No real rhyme nor reason.

Extremely frustrating is when I unplug the phone from the lightning cable and it automatically switches to Bluetooth and starts playing...even when the engine is shut off.

I really dislike CarPlay's lack of customization.

10. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Whelp, looks like Apple isn’t having any of that anymore.
    23F0E20B-B1CA-460F-8DC4-2CBE40EFBC1A.png

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

12. MK7NJ macrumors newbie

MK7NJ

I have Apple CarPlay and it plays the same song each and every time. I downloaded this with my Apple Music.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Nope. Power on my stereo is more of s standby and not a true power off. As for hitting play or pause, there's always a delay.

14. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

On the opposite, it’s quite ingenious to download this to your library to avoid the same damn song playing every single time you plug your phone into the vehicle. It’s the opposite of laziness because people had to create this, search for it and download it. Laziness would be to just deal with it because meh.

And there’s your devils advocate post of the day.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I was thinking the same - that wouldn't give you as long to find what you really wanted to play though ;)

16. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

That's funny, my brother and I created a silent song years ago because when we plug in our iPhone into our KIA it immediately starts playing.
    When I was delivering pizza and starting and stopping my car 20x2 times a night this was a nightmare. It would override anything playing from streaming radio, sometimes it would get in a loop and buzz because streaming and ipod playing were both trying to play.
    Ultimately I purchased a USB lighter plug and that stopped their bad firmware from doing this. This is sad state we are in where engineers and Apple can't provide a simple setting to override this in 2017.

17. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

If anyone's having trouble finding the song in Apple Music, try the Direct Link up top, there should be a "listen in Apple Music" button on the page as well.

18. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

Sad that some people here can't find the humor in this. Tech fails us everyday in many ways. This is a funny solution.

19. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Weird, still working for me.

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Glad to see I'm not the only person driven crazy by this.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Please re-read the article (or actually read the article if you just commented before reading). This has absolutely nothing to do with wanting silence.

22. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm, I have a Mazda 3 and I the one thing I absolutely hate about it is bluetooth autoplay. It literally never does what I want (Which 95% is just silence when trying to pull out of a parking spot.) Then if it does auto-play, it ends up playing an audible book I was listening to on mute, making me lose my saved progress and have to figure out where I was later on.

The one thing I want (and I don't know who would add this feature) is to just be able to connect to my car stereo, and play music at my own connivence, and not just randomly play the first song in my library when it loads.

23. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I used to try and have music set up and ready to go, but there's been countless times it just decided to reset it to the first track in my library. WHY?

24. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

So this is for lazy people who can't take free app like Audacity and make their own silent "music" file?
    For those less intelligent but not lazy:
    - Take any existing music file
    - Open with Audacity and change the audio level to 0
    - Save as aaaaaaaawhateveryouwanttocallit
    - import into itunes

optional:
    - sell on iTunes for $0.99
    - profit

25. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Automatic playback actually is an issue with CarPlay (at least with my car) but instead of playing the first alphabetical song in my library, it plays whatever audio I was last playing on my phone. And it begins playback before the visual interface has loaded on the screen, which means I can't pause it, sometimes for a good 10-15 seconds. Super fun when I have people in the car. I really hope they fix this.