A theory about the glass cutters apple purchased...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Jun 22, 2011.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

So, as most of you probably know, Apple purchased a few hundred glass cutters to be used by its suppliers on (presumably) the iPhone 5. Many think this points to a curved screen for the iPhone (like the Nexus S has).

What they overlooked is the fact that Apple loves curved backed devices. They also love glass devices, and, frankly, going back to plastic for the iPhone would just feel cheap now. So I was thinking, what if the glass cutters are so they can make curved glass backs?

It sounds like something Apple would do if they could, and also lines up with the rumor that they want totally built in SIMs on the new model...on past models, the SIM tray went into the plastic (or metal) of the phone. If the construction was almost entirely glass, a SIM tray wouldn't work well and would be very fragile, so an internal SIM would be the way to go

Just a thought, looking at the rumors from another angle

What do you guys think?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Literally. Isn't the ongoing rumor about the glass cutters, as per the iPhone, that they'd do the front?

Also, I think it was agreed upon that it's more likely they're for the new campus in Cupertino.

3. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

that was my impression at first. but I read an article yesterday that stated they were for suppliers...

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-...nouncement-and-availability-in-august-report/

"Just last month, we reported that Apple had purchased 200-300 glass cutting machines to be used by suppliers"

so I'm not sure which one is true

4. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25