A theory on why we don't have SMS editing or MMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadMac84, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MadMac84 macrumors member

Hello everyone, this is my first thread here on macrumors. Normally I just read and I love looking through the posts about new features. It got me thinking a little though that there really isn't a reason why we don't have some of these things. Then I thought, well if they are so easy and common Apple must not be doing something easy or common. They must be doing something different than everyone else.

A fully integrated iChat mobile is what I bet they are working on. An application that will replace the SMS app and include MMS. However it will also include your IM messaging too.

It just seems like Apple not having the basic features of others phones is not normal. What they have given us is always something better than the way other people are doing it. Look at safari. No one had a browser like that. Maps, much better than anything I've seen. A full iPod for music and video. Are you starting to what I am saying? The features aren't being left out. They are just on hold until they are sufficiently better than what we have seen before they integrate them.

So what do you think? My theory completly stuipid? Does it sound reasonable?

2. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

It's very possible. Apple likes to make things simple and better then others. I know MMS is on every other phone, but thats old technology. How many would you buy the iPhone if it had a web broswer like the RAZR? NONE! I am in no rush to have MMS or iChat, but I would welcome them if they are released.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I don't think iChat would ever replace SMS/MMS. Fine, you can chat with other iPhone owners, or anyone that has a compatible chat app on their phone or computer, but many people have neither. Unless there was a way for iChat to convert messages to SMS/MMS on the fly for non-chat users, it will have to be a separate app.

Then there's the issue of revenue. The carriers would not be too happy if iChat took away their SMS income. But again, if each chat bubble were converted to, and billed as, an SMS or MMS, then maybe it would work. Otherwise, I think we would see a shift to billing by the kilobyte for messaging. I for one would not want that.

4. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Theres also that whole 95% of the population has a standard phone that accepts MMS business too. You can be as leading edge as you want, but thats like having push to talk when noone you know has a push to talk phone.

Pointless...

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Exactly.

Backwards compatibility is HUGE in the computer/electronics world.

Even if they are trying to perfect something, they better allow two way comm with those without the perfection, or it is useless for the most part.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

SwirlyMMS made pretty clear why I'm not interested in MMS. I paid AT&T $30/month; during which time I received a pr0n of unmentionable wrongness, two photos of my nieces, an awful 240x180 photo of a supercar. I sent a picture of a great cafe I discovered to two friends and a business card snap that wasn't legible on their Treo. $30!? Please. This guy can do without.