A theory; the posthumous iPhone 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Some have mused that the iPhone 5 just wasn't ready in time for yesterday's keynote. They point to leaked specs, photos, case designs, etc.

In light of today's sad news, I can't help but wonder if the decision to hold off on a new iPhone wasn't made just prior to August, when Steve stepped down, in order to prolong his immediate legacy a bit. After all, if the phone was in fact in the final stages of completion, or complete, it would have been done while Steve was still very much active in day to day operations, approving every curve and nuance.

How poignant would it be to have one last new design blessed by Steve, unveiled after his death? Not to mention it would sell like crazy. I could easily see Mr. Jobs dictating that the iPhone 5 be released after he was gone.

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

3. ckc macrumors regular

Anyone buying the phone as some sort of morbid souvenier would be really sick. Also to think that Apple would cash in on Steve Job's death is quite abhorrent.

4. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Really? Why wouldn't apple cash in on steve jobs death. That's what company's do. From entertainment to sports to consumer products. Every company users tragedy to fatten up those pockets. Apple is no different. Don't be surprised if they do announce "Steves last project, the apple iPhone 5" or some other product. Hell they might start selling iPods with his face carved on the back or something. You never know. Rip Steve Jobs

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't think for one second that Apple would "cash in" on Job's bad health or death.

I do aknowledge that any bad press the 4S was getting...abruptly ended today.

6. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

not really cashing in and not "sick", the guy was the face of and innovation behind the iphone, it would be cool for them to release something he was probably really proud of, not that i think it will happen or that its the case at all, but it would be a befitting tribute

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Honestly, I think the design probably just wasn't ready. Normally Steve is fairly hands on, approving every little detail... But obviously he was sicker than any of us had known; I'd imagine the poor guy was just too exhausted to push out another completely new design.

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

My take is this is the cycle Apple chooses to take and you have to accept it. We'll get a jaw dropper iPhone after the S cycle.

9. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

I think a big reason Apple is so successful today is that they're not like other companies. And thank feck they aren't.

10. hardvark Guest

I now understand the "production issues" Apple was having with iPhone 5.
    Apple does not manufacture its phones and subs out the component process to, among others, Samsung. Samsung is now its greatest competitor. Samsung must allocate resources to make its own gear and its main competitors' gear at the same time so it is no surprise that Apple has production issues.

Furthermore having your main competitor making your cutting edge product is not very smart. No surpirise they are suing each other all over the world but not seeking money so much as stopping access to the market. Apple wants to prevent Samsung selling hardware that beats the 4S because the 5 got strangled in production. Now we also know that, some time ago, Apple purchased equipment to make curved glass and it was presumed this was iPhone related. Surprise surprise Samsung is teasing the next phone out of its own factory and it looks to have curved glass.....