A Thin, Sleek Hardcase for rMBP that doesn't scratch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DevAndy, Jul 18, 2014.

1. DevAndy macrumors member

DevAndy

2. case2001 macrumors 6502

I have used Speck and iPearl cases. I really like the iPearl cases. They hold up well and have no problems.

3. case2001 macrumors 6502

Ok I forgot I haven't noticed any scratches with the iPearl.

4. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Then why don't you just use the sticker type of covers, the icarbon and stuff?

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I had two Speck SeeThru clear hard cases and have zero issues. Some people said that Speck case will scratch rMBP but mine has so far no scratch and also took some beating but there is no dents at all. :apple:

6. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

Because I'm looking for a hard case. :p

----------

iPearl vs Speck SeeThru?

7. case2001 macrumors 6502

I looked at those myself but they did not provide the level of protection I wanted. I would rather just use the machine without anything rather than those.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I've tried Speck and generic hard cases and they all scratch. The rubberized ones don't scratch as easily but the coating peels from the corners and turns the edges shiny.

I don't abuse my machines, either. Ordinary things like putting them into a backpack seem to scratch them easily.

9. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

I carry my rMBP very often, so without a case it would scratch very easily. I"m also afraid of it falling off the table. What do you suggest I do to protect it?

10. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

11. case2001 macrumors 6502

I am the same. My machine is in and out of my bag 3 to 4 times a day. I also use it on multiple different surfaces that would mar it badly without the hard case.

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I use a Speck hard shell for the bottom, and have the top uncovered. Nothing in my briefcase to scratch the top, and I just don't look at the bottom.

This way I can enjoy relative slimness and not worry about sliding it about on tables, etc.

13. klover macrumors 6502a

14. case2001, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

case2001 macrumors 6502

A Thin, Sleek Hardcase for rMBP that doesn't scratch?

I have had the iPearl cases on my MacBook Air and 2 pro's. I really cannot appreciate any scratches like others report. They have had cases for well over a year.

15. case2001 macrumors 6502

I just took off my case and no scratches at all.

16. vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

I am also looking for a protection for my MacBook Pro Retina.
    I decided to go with ZAGG Invisible Shield for the whole body; this way I am protected from scratches and still keep the original look.
    I will also be buying some type of sleeve to put my MacBook Pro in when traveling.

I am still deciding whether I should buy a screen protector; I do think it will protect the screen, but it might lower the quality of Retina Display = (.
    :apple:

17. berthaconners macrumors member

18. vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

The speck case was my number one choice, but so many people tell me that it will make the MacBook overheat, especially the one with retina display; that is why I started to look into invisible film and skin (not sure if those increase the temperature as well).

19. berthaconners macrumors member

I haven't had any overheating issues. But I might just be lucky or unobservant. One or the other.

20. vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

I think it depends on how intensive softwares do you use. I will be using Traktor/Ableton for DJing and Music Prodcution, and it will be a nightmare if MacBook will let me down in the middle of the night =).

But with basic, surfing the internet and working with documents, I do not think it will trap the heat.

21. berthaconners macrumors member

Oh, I use mine for video and photo editing. I don't find any problems, though. But if you are performing with it, then I would recommend further investigation.

22. vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

Video and photo editing is considered intensive use.
    Maybe hard-shell cases and not that bad.

Do you use a screen protector? (do not know if it is a good idea for retina displays, especially if one is working with design)
    What about keyboard or wristband cover? (heard when closing the lid they will scratch the screen due to minimal space between).

23. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

i got an incase hard case , cause one there super cheap now , and there good quality and top of that they haven't scratched my mac yet and the cases them selves don't scratch as easily as speck cases do

24. berthaconners macrumors member

I actually don't use a screen protector, nor a keyboard cover. The case is fine for me, and the amcase case is extra protection from the outside. I've never really considered using a screen protector for it, though.