A thought about iPhone delivery.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isoft7, Oct 13, 2011.

1. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

It's actually rather amazing to think that in the case of many of our phones, only 3 or 4 days ago they were sitting in a warehouse somewhere in China.

Now, hours away from being in your hands anywhere you live in the United States.

Modern technology is beyond amazing, think of how just a hundred years ago, the time it would have taken for such a delivery.

And, whats more, it didn't cost you a single cent to accomplish.

Haha, it's absolutely crazy.

2. tidybc macrumors 6502

you are right! HOORAYYY!! :apple: APPLE :apple:

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Almost every company is like this too, not just Apple.

4. NoHo macrumors 6502

This modern technology of flight is really something special.

5. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh no, of course... I'm not making this about Apple, it's just in regards to the general advances we experience in terms of global distribution. It's stunning.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

A hundred years ago it would have taken at least a month for a cell phone to cross the ocean. Wait...

7. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:D:D:D

Well played.

8. meder87 macrumors regular

I think it would be better if Apple created a teleportation system to send iPhones to everyone. Just imagine it

*beep noises*

Teleporter: "Sir, you are receiving a request for a delivery for an iPhone 4S. Do you accept this delivery?"

Me: "Yes, yes I do.".

Teleporter: "Teleportation beginning"

*loud noises*

*ding*

Teleporter: "Sir, your iPhone 4S has been delivered. Please remove it from the teleportation. Thank you and have a nice day"

9. NoHo macrumors 6502

If that happened, the iPhone wouldn't even be the coolest thing in the world.

10. X3NIA macrumors member

Don't stop there, just imagine the hundreds of thousands of tons we get sent from China every year.

There are literally hundreds of flights or ship voyages like ours... Every day.

And it is all generally well controlled, timed, and organized.

Mindblowing (to me) that we're at the point it is cheaper and easier to produce something an entire half a world away and then move it ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE WORLD just so it can end up on a store shelf and eventually in our homes.

If that isn't a perfect display of our progress as humans interacting with other humans I don't know what is... Every time I visit a port or airport I'm amazed by how well everything is handled and how much of a large volume there is.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yes, true.

And again, your derailing comment yesterday about having a delivery for the UPS guy is the best.

12. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hehe, thank you... I enjoyed that thread quite a lot.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I gotta repost that by isoft7:

I open the door, look him in the eye and say "Dude, this time... it is I who has the delivery for YOU."

14. johnlandino macrumors member

i think in the furure, teleportation will be a delivery system to ship products and things across great distances instantly.
    i was thinking about this the other day. once teleportation is achieved, it will prob start off by transporting items before eventually movien on to people as means to travel and such. like UPS would offer regular shipping like it does now. and then for a bigger fee, will offer to teleport your package to what ever destination you please.
    what an awesome world that would be. i wouldnt want to be the first human to be teleported! haha "DUDE, MY ARM IS COMING OUT OF MY CHEST AND MY ASS DIDNT COME WITH ME?!?! AHHHHHH!"

15. Virance macrumors regular

Me thinks you don't understand how "free shipping" works.

16. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

By "you" I mean "you".

As in, you paid $199.99 for the phone, but nothing for shipping.

Such an amazing event as transporting a single item thousands and thousands of miles around the world, using forklifts, trucks, airplanes, etc.

17. DerekTS macrumors regular

qft!

18. brazil5376 macrumors member

19. Virance macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong, modern shipping channels are an absolute marvel to behold. Sam Walton's foresight and ingenuity when it comes to moving product around was bar none the largest reason for Walmart's early success.

That said, regardless of whether you pay a "shipping" charge or not - you're still paying for shipping. If I go to EBay and buy an iPhone 4 for $50 with a $250 shipping charge, I didn't score an iPhone 4 for $50 - I paid $300. Likewise, if I see one on there for $299 with free shipping I'm still inuring the cost of the shipment, the amount of my purchase that goes towards covering shipping charges is just obfuscated.

"Free Shipping" is always on a spreadsheet somewhere as part of the total cost of a sale. That's all I'm saying :D

20. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, well yeah, of course... product distribution is incorporated into the cost of every item, long before you ever buy it.

But, think of how much money it would take from your pocket, personally and directly to do what has been accomplished in the delivery of just your newest iPhone.