A thought on iPhone releases

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rans0m00, Jul 30, 2011.

1. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

So this was just a thought on possible future iPhone releases. I was thinking if the current photos are correct about the next iphone then that's a big change in design but not a huge change in technology. I am wondering if Apple will start releasing the design and tech separate.

Like a complete redesign of the phone with minor upgrades that attract people that care more about the style of the phone than the tech numbers. Then the next model has big upgrades to the hardware but no design change.

Or the last thought given the current limitation(like heat and battery life) if phones are going to start having fewer huge jumps in tech.

2. Zalatorisaurus macrumors member

Zalatorisaurus

I'm not so sure about this. Take the iPhone 4 for example. It had a huge jump in botht the cosmetic and technical areas. New design, different material, A4 chip, front facing camera, better rear facing camera. Those are just a few things.

3. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree it was a decent jump but if the current one is released with the current rumors then the jump will not be as big. Its would be a major redesign but everything else is just an upgrade but honestly probably not enough to make me go out and buy it consider I already have an ip4. When the next one is released if it stays within the trend of the past major upgrades then I will be eating my words but if it stays closer to rumors then I would be expecting something more like a 3g then later getting a 3gs type situation.

4. Zalatorisaurus macrumors member

Zalatorisaurus

Only time will tell and I really don't know what to expect. So many rumors say it will go this way or that, better internals/camera vs. total rehaul and new body.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The A4 was just a rebrand of the CPU/GPU in the 3GS with a small speed bump. The real tech upgrade in the iPhone 4 was the screen.

The A5 is a completely new generation CPU/GPU, not just a mere speed bump. Double the processing power and nine times the graphics power in a more energy efficient package.

These leaks are showing a redesign with a larger sceen. An updated camera is practically a given. More RAM to enable better apps and better multitasking would be logical.

These things would make this the most substantial update yet. Other than the screen, the iPhone 4 is just a 3GS redesign with minor spec bumps.

6. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

The one thing I would love to see happen, but really don't see, is a RAM upgrade. I think that it would be logical, but seeing as the iPad didn't get it, I don't see the phone getting it. With all the bloat and skinning that goes with android, some phones actually need a full gig of RAM. I do slot on my iPhone, and very rarely would I really need more than 512mb it has. I cud def use it, no doubt. iOS is coded much better than android and doesn't really need more and more hardware to push the software. I would for sure take it, just saying it really doesn't need it as badly. I'm still skeptical about the larger screen size myself. Until Steve is holding it in his hand, I still think 3.5 screen.