iPad mini A Thought Regarding the Mini 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joeblow7777, Oct 22, 2014.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Forgive me if this has been discussed already. I've noticed that there's been a lot of confusion and even disappointment at the fact that the Mini 3 offers no real upgrades over its predecessor. I'm wondering though if Apple simply doesn't want to make their small tablet a more appealing option given that they just released a "phablet" sized phone.

I think it's a strategy, because if the Mini received the kind of enhancements seen in the Air 2 it might make more sense for people to stick with their current phone and get a new Mini instead of get a 6+. Basically I think that they didn't want to make the Mini a much more appealing option than the 6+.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

According to Apple, TouchID is the most requested feature. Maybe to Apple the Mini 3 did get a big upgrade?

3. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Ah. Didn't realize that they were only allowed to implement one change at a time. :rolleyes:

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Apple spent too much time and too many resources on the :apple:Watch and ran out of time for the Mini 3, so they slapped on TouchID and called it a day.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

They're not but although the world expects revolutionary change with every new model, Apple doesn't work that way.

6. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

I think one of 2 things is happening.

The mini will get a mid-cycle speed bump once the iPad Pro is announced.

Or, more likely, Apple wants the iPad line to be like their Macs. Want faster? Go bigger.

7. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

I was ready to upgrade my iPad mini to the new one, but now I won't be and will probably wait for the next upgrade. I'm definitely not going to get an iPhone 6+ instead because it's a completely different product.. I don't want a new phone, and certainly not such a large one! And I don't want the Air as portability is important for me.

I'm really not sure why so many people keep saying that the reason they didn't give the mini a large upgrade is because of the iPhone 6+, because to me they're not substitutes at all.

8. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

You may be right, but nonetheless it is a disappointment for those holding out for the release of the mini this year. I was in the same boat last year, with an iPad 3 and determined to buy the new Mini when it was released as I was sure it would have retina. I took pause when it only had 1 GB RAM because even then, 1 GB seemed like a limiting factor for device longevity. However, because the processor and RAM were the same as the Air, I figured it was a good trade off and the best I could get at the time.

Selfishly, I am happy that the latest mini isn't much different, but still waiting to hear if Apple did in fact keep the RAM at 1 GB. Seems like they must have, but if they didn't, then a 2GB rMini with an A7 processor would be a happy consolation prize. My rMini is plenty fast and a delight to use -- my only wish is that it had more RAM so that I could get 3, possibly 4, years out of it, especially with forth-coming 64-bit apps. Fingers crossed for folks who waited for the Mini 3 that something like this happens.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I was under the impression that the iPhone and iPad markets are linked but separate. Most phone buyers are upgrading because their phone contract is renewed and they can get the phone at a big discount, whereas the iPads are purely on the buyer's schedule. There probably are cases where people choose to get a particular phone and/or tablet based on what other phone/tablet they own, but I'd wager that they're in the minority.

Rather than competing with the phones for sales, the iPad mini competes with the iPad Air. I'd think that the suggestion that Apple didn't want the iPad mini competing too heavily with iPad Air sales is more compelling than iPad mini vs. iPhone 6 Plus.

10. rotation macrumors member

rotation

1) There is no ipad pro (stop keeping that stupid rumor alive!)

2) TouchID is a huge upgrade

3) There is never, ever, ever going to be an ipad pro

11. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

There was never ever going to be an iPhone 6 Plus (with virtually no leaks) until it happened.

12. rotation macrumors member

rotation

A Thought Regarding the Mini 3

Are you kidding? The plus was leaked months ago! Everything about it was leaked except the name!

There is no ipad plus you guys have seen how leaky apples supply chain is lately. This isn't 2007!

13. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I don't recall Plus leaks, numerous 4.7" leaks though, and I follow MR daily.

14. menano macrumors regular

menano

Uhmmm.. No. 100 bucks so you don't have to type your code is a bit much. I have no iPad and now I will buy a mini 2 without a doubt.

15. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Maybe Apple thought the Mini 3 with its A7 is good enough, as the 6+ only got the M8 and 1GB of RAM just like the 6, so the 6+ is actually a bit of a weakling. Some people have complained of 6+ lag already too!

16. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

There were next to zero leaks for the Apple Watch before it was announced. The only products that leak are the ones in mass production, like the iPhone 6/6+, because they want it available quickly after announcement. They announce iWatch after almost no leaks, to release it several months later. Reasonable to think it could be this way for an "iPad Pro" as well.

----------

I too was thinking the Mini 2 looks like a sweet deal now.

17. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

I don't recall there being substantiated 6+ leaks before it was announced. In fact, a lot of posters right here on these forums were quite adamant that there wouldn't be a larger (than 4.7") iPhone right up until the keynote.

----------

But based on what I've read, last year's Air outsold the Mini 2 by quite a bit, even though they had near identical specs. If Apple wasn't worried about that last year, why now?

18. superpepino macrumors newbie

Is it Just me

Or is this upgrade from the ipad mini 2 to the 3 the same as the iPad 3 to 4. nothing substantially different but a few minor details.

19. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I don't have a good explanation for that. Then again, I'm still puzzled and very disappointed over why Apple wouldn't include even an A8 processor in the new iPad mini. It just doesn't seem like the iPhone and iPad are direct competitors, given people's usages, upgrade cycles, and what they actually have to pay to acquire each.

It's worse, and I disagree that the iPad 3 to iPad 4 was minor. The iPad 3 used an A5X chipset, whereas the iPad 4 had an A6X. Going by benchmarks, the performance of the A6X was approximately double that of the A5X. The change in connectors from Apple's old connector to the Lightning connector could be argued to be a "minor detail," but the processor upgrade was quite a big deal.

By comparison, the iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 3 both use the A7 chipset. While analysis might reveal something different, at this point it's believed that there is absolutely no change to that chipset (not manufacturing process, not clock speed, not RAM). You get the TouchID sensor, a gold color option, and Apple's new pricing scheme for memory upgrades. That's it.

20. DSTOFEL, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502a

I would pay good money, sit in a movie theater on a brisk sunny Autum afternoon (have to be iMax though), give up whatever else I had going on, to see a documentary that walked me through Apple's decision to totally neglect the iPad Mini Retina in this years update! I'd be fascinated! Really!

21. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'm just guessing, but when the original mini came out, there was a big demand for a mini with a retina screen. Moreover, other devices in that size range like the Nexus 7 had a much higher resolution display. Apple felt it had to produce a mini with the same resolution as the iPad Air, so the same software would work on it without alteration, and it needed a fast processor to power that screen. But now that's done, the retina mini works great and so perhaps they've gone back to considering it a second tier device. They don't think they can charge the same amount for the mini as for the full sized iPad, and they want to encourage people who aren't set on the size of the mini to buy the more expensive flagship device.

22. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

This is the same thing people said about the 5.5" phone...
    doesn't exist stop talking about it. blah blah blah.

YOU DONT KNOW EITHER SO STOP SAYING THERE ISNT SOMETHING WHEN THERE MIGHT BE...

Why is touchID a huge upgrade on an iPad? Especially one people use mostly in their home? Why do you need security on something that never goes outside the house much(there still is a passcode lock). I just see touchid being pointless upgrade on a iPad that is mostly used at home and even out. Ive never used passcodes on any iPads and I've had 2,3 and mini retina.
    2 gigs of ram is a much much more needed upgrade then touchId...