a thread of fun (all about dreamcast)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by student_trap, Apr 12, 2009.

?

Would you buy a dreamcast compilation on the 360/ps3

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Not really bothered

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hello all,

Bought the mega drive ultimate compilation yesterday for ps3, and am loving revisiting some old classics i used to play when i was young.

However, my favorite console has always been the dreamcast, which led me to wondering whether any such title would be released for it, and if so, what games would people most like to put on it.

So, what games would you want included?

I'd have to say (to get thsi all started):

Crazy taxi
    Crazy taxi 2
    Virtua tennis
    Soul Calibur
    jet grind radio
    chu chu rocket
    quake 3 arena

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For PSP or Wii or something yea. But I don't see the need for this on one of the more powerful consoles.

3. pcypert macrumors 6502

As fun as my memories of Dreamcast are I think games like Quake are best left off...

Shenmue
    and then others..

Paul

4. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

fair point. although the mega drive compilation is already available on both, so i assumed that the same would be true for this also (not that it is even going to happen:(!).

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

I would have gone with shenmue but alas it will never be finished

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems to me that the Saturn games were far more iconic than the Dreamcast ones, although I had both systems (both purchased for $30 or 40 long after they came out).

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just give me Panzer Dragoon Saga in any way/shape/form and I'll be happy. I'm not too fussed about Dreamcast games since I still have a working condition one (with arcade stick :cool:) and a VGA adapter.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Amazing game. I really enjoyed it thoroughly. :)

9. -SD- macrumors 6502

I'm a big fan of the Dreamcast: it's my favourite console of all time. I have one in the living room and another hooked up to the Mac for homebrew development.

It'd be nice to at least see Jet Set Radio, Power Stone and Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PSN (among many others). Even then, I'll always have a DC hooked up for my fighting and shooting games. Dreamcast connected via VGA is a sight to behold. And an official arcade stick modded with a Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y joystick and six OBSF-30 buttons is the only way to go.

Virtual ON: Oratario Tangram - with Twin Sticks :D
    Soul Calibur
    Power Stone 1 & 2
    Capcom vs SNK 1 & 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2
    Street Fighter Zero 3 & 3rd Strike
    Guilty Gear X
    Under Defeat
    Ikaruga
    Border Down
    Radilgy
    Border Down
    Zero Gunner 2
    Mars Matrix

Plus many, many others....

:apple:

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Some of the best of the dreamcast releases have already been re-released on a variety of platforms anyway.

Powerstone on PSP
    Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventures 1 & 2, Ikaruga on the Gamecube
    Samba di amigo on the Wii
    Shenmue on Xbox
    Soul Calibur on XBLA
    Ikaruga on XBLA
    Jet Set Radio sequel on Xbox

etc.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think I'd pick them up on PSN, WiiWare/Virtual Console (if it could handle it) or XLBA is I wanted it.

I don't Soul Caliber has widescreen support on XBLA, so I passed. I never had a Dreamcast, so I don't have a tie to many games on it

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Mega Man 9 isn't in Widescreen, however who would want to pass up on the sadistic goodness that is MM? :p

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

**Raises hand**

Although I was never a big MM player

14. mac88 macrumors 6502

I'd give it a shot. The DC had some pretty good games.

15. macfan881 macrumors 68020

thinking about geting this game im wondering im looking up now does this game have trophies?

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Soul Calibur is available for download from Xbox Live. I know this because I bought it and play it from time to time. :)

The lack of widescreen doesn't bother me. The graphics I used to love, aren't so lovable now. But it's still fun.

17. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

are you talking about the megadrive compilation? If so it does indeed have trophies, but only one per game so nothing particularly special.

me too, (althounot an arcade stick,dam those things are expensive!), however I would also love the chance to be able to have a) most of my favorites on one disc and b) not have to have yet another console in front of my tv (especially when you then have to deal with controllers that have rather unsightly cables).

I wish they'd do more hardware, but it's never going to happen, especially as it would mean withdrawing their franchises from consoles such as the wii from which they make enourmous revenue (I think sega games are the 2nd most popular on the wii?)

Found an article here on the DC's downfall if anyone is interested. Its quite good:)

18. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Well, according to various sources MvC2 is scheduled to be released on XBLA and PSN any day now. Given that Rez and Ikaruga are on the 360 as well... it's becoming less and less needed to have a Dreamcast around. That is, except for people like me that refuse to buy a 360 to play games one already has :p

I just wish the PS2->Dreamcast controller converters weren't so expensive!

19. -SD- macrumors 6502

I believe the MvC2 release is slated for around June time. There's a countdown in progress on a potential teaser website: Take You 4 a Ride?.

Although many DC games have seen a re-release, PSP isn't the best platform for Power Stone and I wouldn't have a 360 in my living room entertainment set-up. I pray every time I turn my XNA development unit on as it is.

:apple:

20. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

This made me laugh... and also made me realize why I changed the soundtrack for my Dreamcast version. ;)

I wonder if it will be a straight port or if there will be graphical updates (some of the sprites were made circa 1994).