A Thunderbolt display daisy chain question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sluggyman, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Sluggyman macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if the thunderbolt monitor will daisy chain with a 24" apple cinema display that is like discontinued. But would that work or not?

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Been many threads discussing this issue already, and yes, it will work IF you put another thunderbolt device inbetween the display and your other monitor. If you just plug a regular display into the thunderbolt display you won't get a picture (for somewhat complicated technical reasons.)

Needless to say, this other thunderbolt display also needs to have a daisy-chain port, or you'll be caught with your b...eard in a wringer. ;)

3. Sluggyman thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I tried the search but it said the website couldn't respond or something but what sort of device would have to go between the display and the second one?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Anything that is not a thunderbolt display - e.g. an external thunderbolt HDD.

You can't buy the mobile seagate adapter since it has only one port. The cheapest (not yet available) device is the seagate desktop adapter for $199.

5. Sluggyman thread starter macrumors member

So I would have

MacBook Pro ----> Thunderbolt Display ----> Thunderbolt External HD ----> 24" Apple display (Or would this work with any monitor with a mini display port?