A "Timing" Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jeffreyk, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

My new Mac Pro is on order from Apple and I should get it in a week or so to finally make the switch from PC to Mac. Also, I did get my new Airport Extreme Base Station today (although the box looks much smaller than the size of the box in the Apple Store). Additionally, and I don't know if this makes any difference whatsoever, my ISP is Comcast Cable (Cable Modem).

My timing questions are: Should I install my Airport Extreme Base Station now before my Mac Pro arrives or should I wait to set the Base Station up when I initially set up my Mac Pro? Thanks!

2. TimmyDee macrumors member

It makes no difference. Apple has the Airport utilities available for Windows, too, so you should be able to set it up so it's ready for your Mac Pro.

3. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

OK, bear with me as I'm used to the PC way of things...

I know with my (current) Linksys Wi-Fi Router I remember it took some time and effort to configure it on my PC as I had some issues -- although I cannot remember exactly what issues they were a few years ago -- but I know it took some extra work to get it up and running.

Now, granted that's a PC for you...

But, if I plug everything before I boot up my Mac Pro for the first time -- with my new Airport Extreme Router -- will the Mac configure and recognize it right off the bat with setting the encryption (like the WEP 128-bit encryption) during initial set-up? Should I wait to plug in the Ethernet/High Speed Cable Modem line until after the initial Mac Pro set up is completed? Or if everything is plugged in to begin with, does the Mac Pro initial setup finish first and then after OS X Leopard is up and running, the Wi-Fi/Airport Extreme connection set-up is then started to get me online properly?

Sorry for all the questions but like I said I'm used to the PC environment where everything tends to be more difficult and always an effort to get going. Thanks!

4. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

ummmm, If I was you I would just wait after you setup the mac which should take 15 min max then setup airport. The mac probably would recognize it though, if you plugged it in to your mac right away, but just to be safe: setup first, then turn off computer, then setup airport. Good Luck

5. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

6. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Yeah, I agree. I'll make sure my Mac is up and running, make sure it recognizes the extra 8GB RAM I'm going to be installing, and then I'll shut her down, plug in the Ethernet cable, and proceed to do the Airport Extreme set up after powering up. Thanks.

7. Shaved Kitty macrumors member

8. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Yep, I certainly realize that the Mac Pro line is due for a refresh. Unfortunately there is no difinitive answer of when the new Mac Pros will be announced, when they will be available, and what cost they will be. From viewing the forums here speculation abounds that the new models may be announced tommorow or sometime within the next few months -- which, even when announced, may not be available until late Q1 or even in Q2. Also speculation on this forum places the base cost of the refreshed line possibly hundreds of dollars more expensive. I also know the current Macs are working great and the new Macs (a Rev A product) could be glitchy due to the new architecture. Due to a somewhat limited budget, I decided to get the best Mac I could at this time and with a dual quad core 2.8GHz precessor, 10 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, and 8800GT video card, I know my new Mac will be speedy enough and work effortlessly for many years to come.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Then come here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=635530 There's your definitive answer.

No, we're not. We're saying June 2009 at WWDC. We're also saying that they won't be announced before they're available, as that's dumb.

Yeah, it will be more. No, they WON'T be a Rev A product! What the crap, yo? Unless they get a new case, they won't be a Rev A!

10. rylin macrumors 6502

That's not definitive; it's speculation.
    While it is based on available information, it is still speculation.

When Apple announces a date, it's definitive.

11. svndmvn Guest

When Apple releases, it's definitive.

12. rylin macrumors 6502

Even better, since delays do occur.
    /me growls impatiently at iLife '09.

13. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I just wanted to thank everyone for their positive responses to my pretty basic question(s) regarding this subject of routers; and didn't want it to get into some sort of finger pointing by some individuals (i.e. Tallest Skil) showing how my decision to get a Mac now is/was a "really bad" decision because the latest and greatest Mac Pros are "just around the corner." And yes, they're still "just around the corner" as no official announcement has been made from Cupertino.

Also, unless there is any other positive remarks about how my soon-to-be Mac experience can be helped -- with some great advice I was originally asking about on the subject of routers, yes, just routers -- and as a result had answered by some great forum members here (thank you BTW); I'm just not going to respond anymore and waste my time and effort dealing with what seems to be a potentially escalating and unnecessary flame war. I'm sure my remarks below would help ignite said flame war but I want to clarify some things.

I do want to address "Tallest Skil" directly -- who seemed to call me out negatively on my recent purchase decision because I stated some "incorrect" facts. Well, first off, if you're going to state facts to disagree and rebuff about what I've posted here, you should definitely make sure your arguments are indeed correct ones with some supporting facts to back up your arguments.

For example:
    1. Until Apple officially announces anything it's all guesswork, conjecture, and rumor (like others have stated here, thanks for that).
    2. June does indeed fall into Q2, actually late Q2 (check a calendar).
    3. Learn how to read and interpret English (I stated that even when the new Mac Pros are announced, they may not show up until months later instead of within days of the announcement [this is the meaning of what I said]. I made no indication, whatsoever, that anything in the Mac Pro line would hit the street before they were even announced. Don't be silly).
    4. The definition of a "Rev A product" seems to take on many different meanings on this forum. I've read posts in other threads and personally emailed other forum members in regards to this topic. From what I've read on this forum, some members have voiced concerns that the new Mac Pros may be a bit glitchy for the first few months due to the different internal workings of the machines. Some do consider the new architecture design of the chipset and implementation of the new architecture and chipset, indeed, a "Rev A Product."

I don't have to defend my actions to you Tallest Skil but since you're seemingly negative on my decision I'll say the following...

I spent many months debating either to buy my Mac Pro now or wait until the new systems are announced, and in turn, released. This wasn't an easy decision by any means as I know that by going with the current chip architecture may cause headaches down the road especially if I cannot upgrade chips/processors in a few years. I drooled (that's figuratively "drooled," and not literally) at the potentially quicker chipsets like many on this forum are doing as they look ahead to later this year but I really don't need all that extra juice for what I do on a daily basis. It would be really really nice, but not necessary. I decided on the best Mac I could get for the funds I could afford to spend now. I just cannot wait any longer. BTW, my PC is showing its age terribly and isn't truly dependable for everyday tasks and in regards to business tasks. I just couldn't afford losing any more data to constant freezeups and lack of confidence in my system. My productivity takes a hit every time I experience system freezes and crashes with my PC.

I've wanted to move to a more stable platform -- the Mac Platform -- for about 3-6+ months now, consistently putting off a purchase decision until the "spectacular" new systems were announced. Seeing nothing was said at MWSF earlier this month I just couldn't wait any more. In buying now (actually, I've already bought) and I got what many would consider a really nice and extremely speedy system (2.8 GHz Quad Core processor, 10 GB RAM, 500GB HDD, upgraded to the nVidia GeForce 8800 GT video card, etc. etc., etc.). Some members have even argued with me that the Mac Pro is overkill for my needs. But, I wanted the speediest system I could afford right now. This system should last many years and supply me with a fast computer for the foreseeable future!

A "great to see you switching to Mac from PC" would have been really welcome Tallest Skil. Even a "great to see you come over to the Mac side from your PC -- but those new systems should be amazing. Oh man, you should have waited" would have been fine too. Something along those lines on a positive note instead of (incorrectly) picking apart my reasoning with seemingly false logic and incorrect facts. I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me if I did state something incorrectly, at all! I actually welcome the cordial discussions as I'm new to the Apple way of things and I always can learn from more knowledgable members of this forum. Everything I wrote previously on this thread was based on what I've carefully gathered from the forums on this site as I await my new arrival.

I'm very excited to get my new Mac Pro and finally move over to the Apple way of things. It's a great feeling to know I'll no longer have to deal with a clunky old PC and outdated Operating System. I should have done this so much earlier -- but I'm happy to finally make it to the party.

When the new systems are announced -- and they could be announced within days or weeks -- and I'm sure I'll eventually hear of how wonderfully they 'outperform' the older/previous versions (my recently purchased Mac Pro). But, in the end, I'll know that I will still have a computer that ranks up there with the best as a very serious machine!

I'm looking forward to a great experience with my Apple Mac Pro when it arrives and I look forward to discussing things with forum members here as issues/experiences arise in the future.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I never said that. If you need it for work, get it regardless of what is coming out. That has always been my policy.

Where? Sorry, I don't know what you're referencing.

Then by no means should you have waited. Good that you got one when you had to have one.

Bingo. I've never understood the argument that people seem to think that their computer will instantaneously break when a new model is released.

I never said you stated anything incorrectly. If you mean the crap about "revisions", Rev A has always referred to cases and their changes.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Enjoy your new machine! I have almost the same configuration (except for the Graphics card) and I love it. I ignore the negatives on this forum about the single processor because it's perfect for my needs (and it's more energy efficient :))

16. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I just got my new Mac Pro up and running within a few hours of unboxing the system. Just awesome in performance so far. Thanks again to everyone here on the forum that helped me out. Once again, I appreciate it.

It's interesting though...a few months ago I downloaded XP Service Pack 3 to my Windows machine and it left my system almost inoperable as it messed with the display (a resolution of like 600x400 or something heinous like that...but pretty much horrible resolution to work with to resolve the issue) and it also messed with the system itself as I had to repair some files to get my machine working again.

I should have known better and read up on downloading the new Service Pack, but I should have known it would have screwed up my system. I thought for once Microsoft would have got that right to begin with seeing it was their 3rd service pack -- what could go wrong, right?

Well, it took me longer to get my PC up and running to where it was before that download than it took me to unpackage my Mac Pro, add 8 GB of RAM, set up my new HP printer, set up and get the new AE wi-fi router working, get the audio working via optical cables thru my Logitech surround speaker system, download all the new updates to bring my MP current, calibrate the display/monitor, and Repair disc permissions.

Very cool (the Mac, not the Windows Cluster-you know what). ;-)