Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
In light of the recent demise of MacTubes and YouView, I set off on the task of getting a solid fluid YouTube experience on my PowerBook G4. My system is a 1.67 GHz model with 1.25 GB of RAM and an SSD. Sadly, under HTML5, the PowerBook struggled to play YouTube under both Leopard WebKit and TenFourFox. Adobe Flash is such a insecure pig that I refuse to use it on my system, however the performance was marginally better.

The tool I found was ClickToFlash 3.1.6 by Marc Hoyois. You can download this extension directly from Apple by going to "Safari" --> Safari Extensions Gallery. Once installed, the preference panel should immediately open, but if not you can access it by going to "Safari" --> Preferences --> Extensions --> ClickToFlash.

@Dronecatcher also pointed out that Marc Hoyois also has an extension called ClickToPlugin. It's functionality is very similar but includes a few more features. You can download it off his site from here. I am adding it to the guide below but note that only a few settings are different. Hats off to @Dronecatcher for pointing this other tool out!

These settings work great for me and I strongly urge any Leopard WebKit user to give them a shot for both speed and security reasons.

"GENERAL"
  • Placeholder opacity: 50% (Default)
  • Show Flash source as tooltip
  • __Allow invisible Flash/Plugins (CTP) (this will kill all background Flash/plugin processes on a site for security reasons)
  • __Block Flash/plugins manually
  • sIFR text policy: "Show Text Only"
  • Flash to HTML5 conversion scripts: Use Defaults
  • __Load Flash/plug in if HTML5 conversion fails (due to the insecurity of Flash, we never want it to load regardless)
  • Use HTML5 media fallbacks (If QuickTime cannot be used, it will use the rather secure HTML5 instead)
  • __Use a download manager
"PLUG-INS (CTP ONLY)"
  • __Quartz Composer Plug-in (Enabling can use a lot of CPU in drawing Quartz compositions)
  • QuickTime Plug-In 7.7 (QuickTime can certainly load by default for streaming reasons)
  • QuickTime Plug-in 7.7 (Not sure of the difference from the other plugin)
  • __Shockwave Flash
  • __Switchable Java Plug-in for WebKit
  • __ Verified Download Plugin
"CONTROL LISTS"
Leave this tab completely at the default settings unless you have a specific reason to use Adobe Flash on a site. The final version of Flash for PowerPC is 10.1 and is notorious for security issues.

"MEDIA PLAYER"

• Default Media Player: QuickTime Player
  • __Load media player automatically (Leave unchecked to preserve CPU while site is loading)
  • Show Preview Image (Loads preview from YouTube search page)
  • Default Resolution: 360p (Higher End G5s and ridiculously built G4s maybe able to handle 720p :);))
  • Nonnative formats policy: Use only as a last resort
  • Initial Behavior: Autoplay
  • Instant Autoplay
  • Include Media Sources
  • Include Flash (this will make all Flash attempt to be played by QuickTime or HTML5 as a fallback)
  • Include plug-in (CTP ONLY, forces all plugins to try and use QuickTime or HTML5 as a fallback)
  • __Include the video's webpage
  • __Include QuickTime Player
  • __Include AirPlay
  • __Hide "Rewind" button
  • Sound Volume: 100% (Adjusting this may affect audio quality)

"SHORTCUT MENU"
  • __Always Allow
  • __Always Hide
  • __Load All Flash (Disabled for Security Reasons)
  • __Load Invisible Flash (Disabled for Security Reasons)
  • __View on Site (Would allow you to watch video in site rather than in QuickTime)
  • Download Video (Allows you to save copies of videos)
  • Open in QuickTime Player (Allows site to open in QuickTime if not done automatically)
  • __Send via AirPlay
  • ClickToFlash Preferences
  • __Enable/Disable ClickToFlash/ClickToPlugin
"KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS"
This tab is entirely up to user discretion on programming shortcuts.

DISCLAIMER: These settings work great for me and are a vast improvement over any other extension or tool that I have tried. That being said, I cannot guarantee that these settings will work great for everyone and am not responsible for anything possibly caused by them.

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Ok I cannot get Webkit to use flash instead of HTML5 on YouTube.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's super smooth!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Quick test using my PB 12".
Don't worry, those fans are from my server, not the PowerBook.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
The tool I found was ClickToFlash 3.1.6 by Marc Hoyois.
You might find ClickToPlugin is better - the developer recommends it over CTF. I've been using it for a year or so and even on my Powerbooks, setting it to play Youtube as 240P flv brings CPU use to around 50% - going to 360P mp4 is around 60%.

EDIT: FLV playback needs to be activated separately, details here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/leopard-webkit/tickets/45/

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You might find ClickToPlugin is better - the developer recommends it over CTF. I've been using it for a year or so and even on my Powerbooks, setting it to play Youtube as 240P flv brings CPU use to around 50% - going to 360P mp4 is around 60%.

I will check that out! The ClickToFlash extension is a lot better than the old ClickToFlash plugin.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Here is something you guys may want to check out. Kaiser is calling a very limited instance of Safari FROM T4Fx to perform an action (such as watching video).

SandboxSafari

Here's his overview from the blog: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2015/09/sandboxin-safari-on-powerpc-because.html

Sounds to me like a merging of the best of both worlds here. Browsing with T4Fx and then calling a limited Safari window to view video.

What a great idea! Only managed to get it to work on one website but it's still nice to have these options - plus watching flash video in a skeletal Webkit window is is easier on the CPU than the full browser.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What a great idea! Only managed to get it to work on one website but it's still nice to have these options - plus watching flash video in a skeletal Webkit window is is easier on the CPU than the full browser.
Yeah, I think that's the idea. Kaiser knows a lot of T4Fx users pull out a different browser for web video and that it's usually Safari.

Reactions: Altemose

Eugen Mezei

Suspended
Mar 21, 2015
Sandbox Safari works sometimes and sometimes not. On the same page.
When it doesn't I got the message: "400 Bad Request. The plain HTTP request was sent to HTTPS port. nginx/1.8.0"

just.in.time

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Arizona, USA
I will give this a try on my iMac G4 1.25ghz 20-Inch) when I get home from work. This only works in Safari? As of late I have been primarily using TenFourFox.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I will give this a try on my iMac G4 1.25ghz 20-Inch) when I get home from work. This only works in Safari? As of late I have been primarily using TenFourFox.
You are misunderstanding.

This is a plugin for TenFourFox that redirects an URL to a single instance/window of Sandbox Safari, which is an extremely limited version of Safari designed specifically for this.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
This app I found may also come of use when wanting to play YouTube (or other HTML5) videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.