A toss-up decision....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToddH, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Hi gang. I am ordering the 4s at 2am and I have to decide what color to get! I have the black iPhone 4 and it is nice for sure, but I really like that white iPhone. I just spent 1.5 hours in the Apple store looking at both trying to decide on which color to get. I am a photographer (side job) and I have my portfolio on my phone and iPad and my main concern and the question I was asking myself, "will the white frame around the retina display take away from the photos and videos i have on my phone?" I guess in some ways it does and in some it does not. The black phone is great but every time I see someone holding that white iPhone I just think to myself, WOW that is a great looking phone, love that white color. So I set the black and white next to each other there at the Apple store looking at the same photos and videos on each and the white is definitely different in terms of contrast and screen size appearance. But I guess when you are watching a movie you may be in a dimly lit area anyway and the white will not bother me as bad. But after owning the black iPhone for so long, I am definitely going for the white iPhone 64gig version. It just looks so much cleaner and professional, so if you have not seen the white in person, I encourage you to go check one out side by side with the black one. it is my choice for color this time. I've rest many threads where many favor the white and many favor the black, it can be a tough decision since I'll be stuck with it for at least another year and a half. I'm sure I'll be dealing with the decision until I order it in the early am. Are any of you out there struggling with a white or black iPhone decision? I have my heart set on white, so I guess I'll go that rout, if not, I'll regret it!

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I'm struggling with the decision.

Although, I'm leaning towards black. I feel like the screen "pops" more. I don't own an iPhone (Yet…) and will be pre ordering the 4S.

I REALLY like the design of the white. But Im thinking about getting a white bumper, If I get a black.

3. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Stop justifying your own decisions - this have been beaten to death. Get whatever you want.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It is definetly a personal decision!

My mom wanted a white phone, I looked at her like she was nuts. The manager at Best Buy had one and pulled it out.... She took one look and changed her mind. Even he said he didn't like it after getting it, but was stuck with for awhile.

I do urge people to try to see it first..... you just never know what you will like!

Enjoy your new phone!!

5. Ramsay2011 macrumors member

love my white i4 and will be getting the 4s in white :D

6. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I find the home button on the white to feel cheap and plasticy. I am not sure if it's the paint or what, but I don't like it compared to the black.

7. SoCalRon macrumors newbie

Quote: So I set the black and white next to each other there at the Apple store looking at the same photos and videos on each and the white is definitely different in terms of contrast and screen size appearance.

I am trying to decide between the 2 also. When you say screen size appearance does the screen look bigger in white or black?

8. DataEast macrumors member

Black looks more sophisticated to me while white looks cheap and girly imo.

9. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

What I found when comparing them, it all depended on what I was looking at. I saw a scene from one of the movies on both phones, the scene was dark, like at night and I could not see the black frame around the black iPhone, so that scene make the black screen look bigger than the one of the white iPhone. This illusion also reversed as I saw a bright scene where the white frame blended in and it looked bigger than the black iPhone. so, it is all dependent on what is being viewed. I think I am going for the white, it is taking me a while to decide that, but I think it is the correct choice for me. Currently I'm still looking them over. In the end, I have a good feeling that I will go for the white.

T

----------

I can respect that comment, but after having black for so long, I'm ready for a change. Black is beginning to be a bit boring for me and the white can be fixed up with a cool black case for a strong B&W contrasting phone.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

This is all a personal decision which you seem to have already made, but

lol. Black is professional. That's not to say white is bad for a professional environment, but c'mon.

11. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Thats weird! They both use the same parts, just a different color laminate on the back. Did you experience this in the apple store? One that is on display? If so, you have to take in mind that thousands of people have touched, pressed, abused, etc those display phones and it very well could have beed over used and pushed too hard and or too many times. I felt no difference between mine (black iPhone 4) over the white.

12. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

I think the problem is, everyone seems to have the black one, and if you picked up a iphone 4 at launch, after 16 months even a colour change is nice