A travel luggage bag roller for your MacBook? worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KimJonNumberUn, Dec 22, 2013.

1. KimJonNumberUn macrumors regular

INCASE makes this cool looking roller, and has a laptop compartment which i thought was cool.

They gave out a 50% code a while back i haven't used yet and considered this.

Thought I might use it for travel between home and college (quick weekend trip home)

Do you guys think its ideal, with 50% its like 125 dollars plus 30 dollar shipping.

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-eo-travel-roller

Please give me your thoughts! :)

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Years ago when I was in college and laptops used to be huge back then, thieves knew what laptop backbags look like and would nab them when the opportunity arose. Why get something that a pro thief would target, especially with macbooks being thinner and lighter?

3. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

from your opinion, wouldnt a luggage roller be the last thing one would think a laptop would be in? Andit isnt for travel, only on the train at most or in the car

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

A compartment is fine but I personally would want a stand alone sleeve to go with it. Personal preference.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

For the general public, yes, but we're talking about professional thieves here.

6. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

okay other then the fact that it could be a target for these professional theives, what do you think of the bag itself and price? :D

7. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

think its worth buying for 125 dollars in your opinion? or just get a plain roller from samsonite or something lol?

8. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

any other thoughts on this lugagge roller for the macbook?

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Personally I think it's ugly as all get out, but I'm not a fan of Incase bags (except for the neoprene sleeve). I currently have a Rickshaw sleeve and a Jansport backpack with a laptop slot. Roller bags aren't convenient on a college campus with lots of steps :rolleyes:. I also can't imagine trying to get that sucker through security at the airport.

If it suits your needs, then go for it. People on an anonymous forum can't tell you how to spend your money.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My thoughts:

- It is rather ugly, but maybe that shouldn't matter too much in luggage
    - I prefer to have a messenger bag/backpack for my laptop etc, and a plain roller for the rest of my luggage

11. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Personally I'd never put my MacBook in a luggage bag. Especially when travelling by plane, the luggage handlers tend to throw your bag around quite carelessly.

12. simplified587 macrumors member

I have see both the soft shell (in your link) and hard shell roller and I think that the hard shell looks better.

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-eo-travel-hardshell-roller

It is a perfect size for a carry on bag. The laptop compartment is padded with flax fur like many of their backpacks. It seems to be a very good bag for air traveling (which is what I assume you mean by traveling from home to campus) I was deciding between that and EO duffel and ended up getting the duffel instead. Although there is a serious flaw with that bag (more on that in a bit)

Before you buy though you should confirm with them whether the bag will come with warranty if you use your specific code. I brought the duffel bag during their warehouse sale and the snap button that hold the strap together broke after 1 use! I asked them for a warranty replacement but they said that everything sold during the warehouse sale does not carry warranty and they told me to go get it fixed at a luggage shop!! I ended up spend more money replacing the botton with velcro... The more upsetting thing is that it would have cost exactly the same if I have brought it with the 50% coupon online on that same day (they have both a warehouse & online sale on that day) and that would have come with warranty (according to their CS)

13. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

how come u chose the duffel over the roller?

thanks for the info!:)

14. simplified587 macrumors member

Just feel like the duffel is more versatile and seems to be able to fit more stuff if needed. I was able to fit stuff for a 5+ day trip in the duffel even though it said the bag is for 2 day trip only

15. applehead12 macrumors member

I fly with rollaboards all the time. It's not that bad, although my laptop stays in my bookbag at all times.

Whatever bag you buy for travel, make sure it fits in the smallest overhead bins on airplanes. Nothing's going to fit in one of those barbie jets but you should be able to put a rollaboard in just about any other plane.

If you fly frequently enough though, you should get TSA Pre-check and avoid having to pull out your laptop altogether.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Oh I know roller bags aren't a problem getting through security, but I can't imagine having to open it up to take your laptop out! The few times I fly (Southwest, thankfully), I check my suitcase and just carry on my backpack with my laptop. It works pretty well.

But since it sounds like OP doesn't want to get it for frequent air travel, I think it's a bit much. Get a nice backpack that doesn't look like it's specifically designed for laptops.