A tricky white screen question on Iphone 3g question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by simsyboy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. simsyboy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I hope you can help. I have an iphone 3g, and two months ago I had the screen changed after it was cracked. Last week for no reason when I hit the home button, the screen went white with lots of horizontal and vertical moving lines. The phone was still on, because I could unlock it. After an hour it was ok. Today I dropped the phone, only lightly and the same thing happened, when I try to do anything now I get the white screen and moving lines. I took it to the shop who changed the screen, he plugged it in and it came on.

Now I got home, took it out of my pocket and it was white again. I synced with itunes, hard reset, restored in itunes, but nothing.

I assume the screen isn't broke because it seems to work, and the shop only offer 28 days return for screens if it breaks.

Does anyone know what this shops itunes could have done? The man said he just plugged it into a pc. I have latest itunes.

Thanks in advance guys

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

LCD is faulty. iTunes can't magically fix a hardware fault.

3. simsyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply. I know iTunes can't fix a hardware fault, but I thought because it happened once to me and came back to life, and then came back again when the man plugged it into the pc. I assume it was a fluke and it was just on its way out and now it is dead. Let me know if this has happened to anyone else and if they managed to fix it.

4. Phoneluv4 macrumors newbie

Definitely sounds like you have a bad LCD. No amount of plugging and unplugging is going to fix it. You need to have it replaced. I would suggest you get an LCD online and do the repair yourself. Its not very difficult (easier than replacing the touch panel) and there are plenty of video guides on youtube.com. I'd recommend the vids from Directfix.com.