Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTravelerBoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Brussels, Belgium
Like many a few weeks ago I was holding off getting a new MBP – eagerly awaiting the new release – which I felt would be a major upgrade. Although it was, I’d been planning on purchasing a new 17-inch MBP, and was a bit disappointed to see that it didn’t get quite the same treatment as the Macbook and 15-inch MBP.

I don’t have to immediately get a new 17-inch, so I’m wondering if I should hold out for a future upgrade. I can’t imagine Apple not eventually extending the improvements (like the uni-body process to the 17-inch).

When the new laptops were unveiled, my first reaction was that Apple wanted to get new products out before Christmas, but there wasn’t enough time to retool for a completely new 17-incher. I wonder if a “really new” 17-inch MBP will be announced at Macworld in January?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Well, I can certainly say the new MB and MBP 15-inch are very sturdy and much better made with the new aluminum unibody. However, I am not use to the glossy screen yet. I find myself using my v2,2 MBP with Matte display all of the time especially at night or later in the day because the new GLOSSY display is hard on my eyes. It is beautiful in the morning, but by five pm I am usually fed up. Sad to rather use my old Notebook and not want to sell it because eyes cannot take the new glossy triple glare super bright backlit sun like bright display. And, I do not mind the gloss or glare as I think it's beautiful... It is just really tough on my eyes compared to the MBP matte screen.

So, the new 17" is really nice and guaranteed to be available without the black super gloss black bezel and in a nice matte finish easy on the eyes. And if you wait, you may not have a matte option. I hate to say it, but due to the screen, I would personally buy now and get the matte display. But that is me. Anyone else having a hard time getting use to the new bright displays?

Best wishes with your selection.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Well, I can certainly say the new MB and MBP 15-inch are very sturdy and much better made with the new aluminum unibody. However, I am not use to the glossy screen yet. I find myself using my v2,2 MBP with Matte display all of the time especially at night or later in the day because the new GLOSSY display is hard on my eyes. It is beautiful in the morning, but by five pm I am usually fed up. Sad to rather use my old Notebook and not want to sell it because eyes cannot take the new glossy triple glare super bright backlit sun like bright display. And, I do not mind the gloss or glare as I think it's beautiful... It is just really tough on my eyes compared to the MBP matte screen.

So, the new 17" is really nice and guaranteed to be available without the black super gloss black bezel and in a nice matte finish easy on the eyes. And if you wait, you may not have a matte option. I hate to say it, but due to the screen, I would personally buy now and get the matte display. But that is me. Anyone else having a hard time getting use to the new bright displays?

Best wishes with your selection.

Let me ask...

If you hate the glossy screen so much, why are you buying the new LED ACD?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It will be available mid-January. At least you will still have access to refurbished 17" MBPro's if you're aren't pleased.

MacTravelerBoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Brussels, Belgium
Thanx for the reminder about the matte vs glossy screen. I'd overlooked that little point. A glossy screen isn't a deal breaker for me, but I do prefer the matte, so I'll have to weigh the +'s and -'s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.