a turning of fortunes.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mixmacface, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

Alright, i've been wanting to post my situation for quite a while, but have been diverting until i've learned a few things. now i've learned, and i still need to post.

my situation is this:
    i'm going into art school this fall, and my program asks that we have macs. they don't push any particular kind, but do push macs. i plan on selling my current laptop, a toshiba satellite, 17 or 15-inch (i can't remember specifics about this laptop, but the screen is honkin' huge.), to my brother for 500 dollars. about 70 dollars less than what i paid for it so i'm not losing a whole lot. and with that money, and with the money i'm (trying) to save, i plan to purchase a macbook. but what i was wondering, is if i should take advantage of this back-to-school promo and go with the low-end white MB, up the RAM, and get an ipod (which i would keep. . my current ipod still works, but man it looks horrible, and something rattles around inside when i pick it up!) or should i spend about the same amt of money and get a refubished blackbook.

i'm not sure what programs i'll be using, but definitely photoshop, and other photo-editing software. i asked them what programs they use when i visited a few months ago, but she rattled off so many that it just kind of floored me.

but what i'm wondering is if i should spend the money for a refurb. blackbook, and skip the free ipod, or just take advantage of this b-t-s promo. i can't buy now because i'm waiting for my brother to get back from colorado in mid-july from his summer internship. i'd love to buy now, but i just can't.i know a lot of you (myself included) preach that if you need it, buy it now. . . i can't. or i would.

but any advice? i've pretty much knocked off any desk-units because i will need portability. . but any help, anybody?

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

A refurbished Macbook would suit your needs and be cheaper in the short term, but given the cost of adding ram to get to 2GB it's likely the Blackbook if you can spend the extra is worth the cost for the higher spec.

Really it comes down to nothing more than money, the Macbook will handle CS3 just fine I use it myself but I do stress you really need that 2GB memory.

3. ozmerelda macrumors newbie

B-T-S Promo

May I suggest you get the white MB , ipod, printer, promo and get a hard case cover to make it black which may run around $50.00. http://www.goincase.com/

Skin it is another option to artistically design a cover for your white MB.
    www.skinit.com for around $25-35.00

You will get the money for the ipod and printer back and you will have a current model. Of course you can try to sell the printer and ipod if you want to reduce your costs.

Good Luck,

Oz

4. mixmacface thread starter macrumors regular

mixmacface

i'm not so much worried about the look, but rather the performance. i need something that will suit my needs and won't buckle under the pressure of pulling an all-nighter working on projects. the laptop i have now takes forever to boot up (i have vista) but runs a lot smoother since i bumped down the appearance to the classic look. but i'm not worried about looks. . 'cause i know no matter what macbook i get, it will look shexy.