A typical person being to greedy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz786, Jan 5, 2009.

1. abz786 macrumors 6502

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's a payment for his time. Some people don't want to do things for themselves. I don't see any greed at all.

3. aridon macrumors member

He is being paid for his time. I guess in theory he should be sending a piece of the pie back to the Devs but when you work in the shadows you can't really be surprised when others do as well.

4. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

i dunno
    i have been asked to do it for friends, and they tell me they will pay me without me asking, and i try and tell them no worries, but they still slip me a $20 or so
    but im not going around advertising my services
    i dunno, i just felt this is someone taking advantage of the free service??

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya ... kind of shady, but what can you do?

Kids offer to mow lawns for $ -- surely the homeowner can mow their own lawn for free.

6. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah thats true to
    hahah

i guess this post was just one of those posts where u see it and get mad at the fact that he is using a free service

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hey man .. don't get me wrong, I think that stuff's pretty wack too.

Like Best Buy offering to "install" Halo on your xbox for you. Now THAT is a scam and a half. :eek:

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Knowledge and time are worth money.

When my mom teaches piano she's charging for nothing more than her knowledge. When I pay someone to change my oil, it's something I COULD do, but prefer not to. When I go out to eat I pay someone else to carry food to my table. Goodness, I could do that at home!

This is the same thing. For some people it's worth $20 to just get it done without having to learn how to do it. They're out there, and there's nothing wrong with that.

9. siorai macrumors 6502

So you keep the $20 then? What we have here is a situation where you just aren't ballsy enough to be upfront about wanting money. This guy has the balls to say, "Hey. You want your phone unlocked? $20." Good on him. He's got a service to perform and is asking an adequate price to do it. In all honesty it just sounds like you're annoyed that he's making money doing something you're doing for free. Or at least trying to do for free.

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

ITs not shady at all. Some people just cant figure out how to do it. He is rendering a service to someone who needs its. There is no deception involved. Its just like geek squad charging you for setting up email on your phone. Is that shady? No. I would not pay for that but another person will.

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

what free service. How is this service free? The software is free, the service is totally different. If he was selling the software then that would be wrong.

12. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

A typical person being ("too" not "to") greedy.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think their our a few airs in you're title. I guess your in two much of a hurray too post the tread.

Hehe. Just take the above as a joke.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I dont see anything wrong with what he is doing. if he was selling the software for $20 then it would be wrong, but he is selling his time and knowledge like others have stated. For you and me unlocking the phone may seem simple but for most iPhone consumers walking around who aren't tech-savvy and dont spend time on online technology communities it may be extremely difficult. I think he is being smart and capitalizing on this. He isnt taking credit for the software he is just helping people use it.

15. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I too don't see much wrong from what he is doing.
    However, I guess he could disclose that Unlocking the phone is free, but he is willing to spend his time and knowledge.

16. Robby9279 macrumors regular

I don't think it's wrong at all. In fact my friend and I charged $10 to jailbreak when that first came available. We even told people the process, but they prefered people that had done it before and had it working, they dent want to take a risk. We even told then it voids the warranty. There's nothing wrong with it, they're charging people for their time and a task to be done.

17. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Illegal maybe, but not greedy. The person if offering a service at a cost.

18. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

whats illegal about it?

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

20. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

i spent about 3-4 hours unlocking my iphone the first time i did it. did lots of research etc... to make sure i wasn't going to F anything up.... $20 to save me 4 hours of hassle doesn't sound too bad.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I say you undercut them and do it for $15. Profit!

Seriously, I've done less for more but I agree that it kills me for someone to pay $??? to, say, have a new hard drive plugged in. Some people make some good scratch picking up dog poop. My advice is to help those with more money than brains, time, skills, etc. :)

22. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

$15? I'll do it for a Coke and a smile, haha

23. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

How is it shady?

The "dev team" makes a tool. They release the source under the GPL.

Someone uses the tool to provide a service. They accept payment in exchange for their time.

There's nothing illegal or greedy about that. It's called commerce, and it's been a fundamental part of human society for the last several thousand years. :D

24. sjorge macrumors member

It does indeed seem he's charging for the service of unlocking so the person doesn't have to. Not for the unlock it self. Nor does he claim it's his unlock.

Like mention the before what the guy in .uk is doing is wrong and illegal.

I provided some basic computer services like cleaning up peoples computer, formatting there computer, fixing problems etc.

Sure they could do it by them selves. Some times it only takes 5 min to fix a problem. It's a simple misconfiguration and I charge 25 EUR/h (Yeah I do charge them 1h for that. Now if it takes me 1h10 I only charge 1h)?

In computer most money is made in selling knowledge. Things that take me 10min to do may take people hours if they have to figure it out on there own.