a usb extension cable to go with the standard charge cable that charges/syncs iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by markm75, Sep 29, 2009.

1. markm75 macrumors member

I've been struggling to find a usb extension cable that actually charges the iphone (and syncs)..

My latest was a standard 6 foot extension cable.. it would sync but not charge.. If i plug the standard white cable that came with the iphone directly into the same pc port, no problems..

Can someone recommend an exact model cable for the iphone 3g (3.01) that actually works?

Thanks much

2. markm75 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone out there using an extension cable successfully?

3. ihonda macrumors 68000

4. senhaku macrumors newbie

I also have a 30cm USB extension cord that does not work. All 4 pins on the USB extension cord are wired corrected. iPhone 3GS can sync but not charge. Anyone know why iPhone cannot charge?

5. organsoup macrumors member

I use an extension cable with my wall adapter and my 3G charges just fine. I've never attempted to use an extension cable for charging from a computer or syncing though. Could be a voltage thing if extension cables plugged into a computer wont allow charging.

6. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

What you need is active USB extension cord. The regular ones won't work, unless the distance is very short. An active USB extension cord will repeat the signal, so charging and syncing can work over longer distances.

7. senhaku macrumors newbie

Went thru several USB extension cords in my shelves, and found one old one which is 100cm long and at least 4 years old, and it worked. The one that didn't work was new & shorter. So not all regular USB extension cords are alike. Best to try first. :)

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am using the one that came with my Wired Apple keyboard bc I just needed a tad longer cable and it works well.