A useless cash in.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roadbloc, Jan 27, 2010.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I think it is a way that Apple can earn more money from the App Store.
    A cheap cash in for Apple, as the iPad simply is a pregnant iPod touch. And it lacks multitasking, java and flash.

I do not think Apple have really thought about this one. It's a half baked product, rushed out. If they had included flash, java and multitasking support, this may have been a winner, but now it just looks like an overpriced eReader.

When the rumour of a Tablet Mac was released I imagined a touchscreen iMac, not a bloated iPod touch.

Flame away. :p

2. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

No flames here. I think this device is not something I'll buy in it's present form. Too big. My Touch is awesome and therefore why would I want something that's similar but too big to carry with me everywhere? While the price for the 16GB version is great, I STILL don't want one, because I have so many other devices that suit their intended purposes far better. I don't need to SEE this in person, to know it's not for me.

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

So it is apple's fault you have a poor imagination?

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Agreed, I felt the same way. I thought the iPad would be more like a computer than a enlarged iPod touch.

Habitus :apple:

5. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I agree no multitasking kind of sucks, but a touch screen iMac? In what scenario would that ever be useful?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you understand marketing, how products evolve and how Apple makes and evolves products, this is pretty much what one would have expected. Apple has set the bar high enough for competitors and for people to eat these up. $499 and no contract- no one saw that coming.

I expect OS 4.0 to add multitasking to the new iPhone, the 3G/3GS and iPad. Original iPhone owners will be left behind.

7. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Well, I am in two minds about this. Am I missing something or does this genuinely suck? I distinctly remember this forum exploding with hate when the iPod was announced. And now look at the iPod, it's changed the way we all listen to music.

But at the time being, my mindframe is of this:

[​IMG]

8. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

So how do you explain Apple TV. or the Newton. Or macbooks without firewire? Or glossy screens? NOT EVERYTHING Apple does is perfect. Sometimes they misstep. This iPad WILL sell, but not to every gadget-lover out there. Too many issues, like PORTABILITY (or lack thereof)

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

According to new accounting principles Apple outlined on Monday's quarter earnings, future iPhone updates will cost $25. The initial thought was that iPhone (original) owners would be left out because the 2-year accounting update period would be over, but now it's possible for them to receive it at a fee.

10. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

If anybody else came out with a netbook or tablet with no multitasking, no flash to view webpage or no USB to tranfer files, you'd roast them.

11. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

+1

12. theking79 macrumors 6502

Yes it's sleek, stylish and looks great to use, but if you own an iPhone/touch there is actually no reason to buy it, If I did buy one I would feel I am just throwing my money away. While I have an iPhone I won't be buying one, it is just a larger/heavier iPhone, with less mobility.

13. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

I think it will take the ipad some time to evolve just like the iphone and ipod. I didnt think the iphone was that great until the App store took off. I think developers will create a lot of Apps specific to the ipad which will make it more enjoyable and functional. I also think that multitasking will eventually get there with OS4. To me it looks like the ipad does some pretty cool things out of the box and it does them well, especially with multitouch and ereader. I thought the NY Times App was pretty sick.
    I can see this device being used in many different industries.
    Those wanting it to do more, then wait for jailbreak which Im sure will happen pretty fast. It should be able to multitask easily with backgrounder etc...

14. ianogden macrumors member

ianogden

I'm concerned that this product is something I have no use for. I would love an iPad, but I agree it doesn't really do much more than my iPhone. I dont understand people's obsession with multitasking either. On my laptop I can understand why people have more than one app open at once, but on my iPhone I have no use, and i cant really see a use for having it on the iPad. Its probably more something you would take to the office for meetings. Larger than the iPhone but not large enough to be heavy to carry. As an e-reader its perfect.

I think the iPad has potential to develop into a more useful product for people, but this will come from the App Store. Apple have delivered an item that is capable of being built upon. No use for it yet, but the potential is there.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple doesn't make much from the Apple store - and this has been confirmed by quarterly statements. It isn't simply a pregnant touch - it's a tablet - new screen, new innards.

iPhone , Touch shows you don't need Flash, java, multitasking (3rd party) to get a winner. If you think it's just an ereader, then you'll likely slowly see that it will be able to do a lot more (within it's constraints of its v1 hardware (no GPS for example, no camera).

16. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

Then why not say you don't "need" cut and paste to have a "winner" either? Gimmie a break. Such features being missing just plain SUCKS.

17. ianogden macrumors member

ianogden

I think on a tablet such as the iPad (relatively small and fit to purpose) you don't need a camera or GPS. If you want those features buy an iPhone or more specifically a GPS Device and a compact camera. I can understand people's reasoning in that these things would be useful, but maybe they would have raised the price of the product, therefore Apple may have chosen to leave these features out in order to obtain the best pricing I've ever seen for a new, innovative Apple product.

I know I sound like a fanboy, but please don't hate me for it. :)

18. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Millions of happy iPad owners disagree.

19. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

You realize you are responding to a thread that was started before the iPad 1 was released? This looks like a response from the first Keynote on iPad