Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
AK, USA
I've installed BootCamp on my Mac Pro and use XP to play games (F.E.A.R., Tiger Woods 2007, Sid Meier's Pirates so far). I don't use the web browser or e-mail. Do I need A/V or spyware detection software?

If I play the games above online (I haven't yet) is there a way for malicious software to get on my computer?

I download a lot of live shows (.mp3 or .flac) from archive.org. Should I virus scan those before playing them in Windows?

What else should I be thinking about? I haven't had any virus software on my Mac ever and haven't had problems as of yet (knock on wood)!

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I use my computer for just about everything under the sun, and...

I dont have antivirus.

I'm running Windows XP.

As long as you know what your doing and where your surfing, you dont need anti-virus software.

daveIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
AK, USA
As long as you know what your doing and where your surfing, you dont need anti-virus software.

Not surfing but possibly gaming online (not familiar with threats of that so I don't know what I'm doing really) which is why I asked...

I play F.E.A.R. & Tiger Woods 2007 (on PC) Call of Duty 2 & Doom 3 (on Mac)

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Download and install avg free and zonealarm. Running without a firewall (windows firewall is a joke) and anti virus is not worth the hassle.

Its very easy to set them up and once they are setup you can nearly forget about them.

I dont have antivirus.

You can get a virus without browsing the web, you know.... I've lost count in the number of people who claim they don't need AV but when you do install some it surprisingly finds several viruses...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.