A valid DVD drive could not be found [-70012]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Argon21, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Argon21 macrumors member

This is the error I get when I try to start the DVD Player application. I have exchanged the internal superdrive on my 2006 MBP for a second hard drive, so it's true, I don't have a DVD drive any more. But I'm not trying to play an optical disc - I'm trying to play a .ISO backup of a DVD movie. In the past, I would always double click on the .ISO, and it would mount the .ISO file and place an icon on the desk top. Next I would start DVD Player and it would start playing the movie.

How do I get around this silly limitation? Some way to disable DVD Player from looking for a physical DVD drive? Or some 3rd party DVD player software I can use?

TIA

2. googdot macrumors regular

3. Argon21 thread starter macrumors member

4. iCab28 macrumors newbie

same error appears on my mac book pro. but i have a dvd stuck inside. it appears that the mac does not recognize that a dvd drive exists...what can i do?...

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

6. mshughes macrumors newbie

I fixed it!!

I have had the same problem with my drive not working. I tried everything and then I held my power button down till the light on my iMac started flashing really fast and then it made a loud tone noise. AND IT WORKED!! YEAH:)