Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I have been looking around for a Mac Mini to use to replace my G4 Mac Mini, I dont really need a brand new one, just one with an Intel chip so I went to PowerMax.com and looked at the used section of Intel Mac Mini's.. A used 2.0GhZ Mac Mini with GMA950 is $569 with a 90 day warranty while a new Mac Mini from Apple is $599 or in my case $549 with the edu discount.. I emailed them....

I was just curious to know why the price point of a used Mac Mini
was set so high? A used Mac MIni with a 2 GhZ Core 2 and GMA 950
graphics would cost me more than a brand new Mac Mini with a 2.23
GhZ Core 2 and Nvidia 9400M Graphics, the education price point of
a brand new Mac Mini is $549 with a full one year warranty while
your used Mac Mini is $569 with a 90 day warranty. I know that it
must not mean anything to you but you have lost a sale to the Apple
store.

Thank you for your email; that is a good question. We price our used
computers at what we think they are worth.

Gary

Can you give me a reason what makes a used Mac Mini worth more than a new one?

These Mac Mini's are worth more than the new ones.

Gary

Anybody know any reason as to why a used Mac Mini is worth more than a new one?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The reason is right there in what he said. He said they price them at what they think they're worth (i.e. what price they will make the most profit for each unit sold). In other words, they are making enough profit from selling them at that price point.

It could be something like a socketed CPU or some other technical reason why they are pricing them that high and are selling them.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The reason is right there in what he said. He said they price them at what they think they're worth (i.e. what price they will make the most profit for each unit sold). In other words, they are making enough profit from selling them at that price point.

It could be something like a socketed CPU or some other technical reason why they are pricing them that high and are selling them.

The only logical thing that I can figure is they would rather have you upgrade and purchase a new Mac Mini for $20 more.

New
http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/c-nmm-mc238ll__a

Used
http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/c-u68621

What really amused me was the fact that he could not give me a valid reason on the price.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Ask Apple (or Ford or a restaurant) the same thing. They will likely give you the same answer. There are no set rules around pricing anything.

Let's say I can sell 8 units @ $2 each. If I increase the price to $4, then I only sell 5. Sure I sold less due to the higher cost, but my revenue jumped $4 (from $16 to $20). They are just coming up with a number in their head where they believe they'll make the most profit.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Yeah, Power Max can be a bit ridiculous... I have dealt with them before though. I actually bought a 1.83GHz Core Duo mini for slightly less than a new one, it was a refurb, and while the price was sort of high, I got pretty good service and shipping was fast.

6 months after I bought it, some random guy called me to ask if I was liking my mini. :eek:

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
The market always has apparent pricing anomalies, but it really depends on what the market will support. Apple itself is always accused of being overpriced, but IMHO, their products are more than worth the so-called premium.

FWIW, I've had very satisfactory dealings with PowerMax in the past. The people are knowledgeable and prompt, and the trade-in service has worked pretty well for me when I don't want to bother selling my old computer on eBay.

Aljovido

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Brooklyn
I agree with you here, PowerMax has an odd way of pricing things. I purchased a NEW 8-core 3.2GHz 2008 Mac Pro from PowerMax back in June for only $2799. At the time, I believe the refurb units from Apple were $3799! Even now refurbs from apple are still $3299. And what makes this even stranger, is that PowerMax is now selling the same 3.2GHz Mac Pro, but refurbished for $2899, $100 more than what I paid for a new one 7 months ago!

I never got a follow-up call about my machine, but their customer service is still great! ;)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I have in the past purchased from PowerMax in the past and did get great service, I guess I should have worded my original post another way. I was more amused at the answers given to me than angry over the price. I would still buy things from them if the price was in reason and it can be at times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.