Resolved A very unique problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adazz, Oct 6, 2011.

1. adazz, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

adazz macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I really like my iPhone 4, but the problem I've ran into, I may have to get rid of it. I really don't want to and I hope you guys can help.

I've been using the iPhone 4 and have lived in the same apartment for last 9 months. I have had no issues with connectivity before. However 3 weeks ago, the phone part of my iphone has been giving me issues and that too only in my apartment. It still works fine flawlessly everywhere else.

Basically, although the phone shows full 5 bars of signal strength, I am unable to receive calls, make calls and send or receive SMS. While in my apartment, the phone part works 20% of the time randomly. However since two weeks ago, it now alternates between showing full 5 bars and displaying "no service".

The only thing that has changed in my apartment, is that I purchased a new desktop with a new monitor. But I can't think of a reason why that would effect the network signal on my phone.

I have wifi in my apartment, and don't run a data plan, but I've had wifi in my apartment for the last 9 months too. Even then, I turned wifi off both on my phone and my router, however the connection issues persisted.

Strangely enough though, when I take my iPhone one floor below and make a call, I can walk back to my apartment and can continue that conversation. However when I end it, soon after, the network issue will again come up. In fact, the phone works while I am inside the elevator too. I have also tried restoring my phone to the factory settings and upgrading it to the latest iOS version. The problem still persists.

I was speaking to the guard at my building today, and he informed me that an office building across the road had installed a transmitter three weeks ago, which also coincides with when I started having problems. As the phone works everywhere else except on my floor, I have reached the conclusion that it has to be the transmitter.

So my question now is, can it be anything else besides the transmitter? If it is the transmitter, is there anyway I can remedy the issue without having to change my phone? And if I do have to change the phone, would other phones potentially face similar problems in my apartment?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Call your carrier and ask them to verfiy that your local cell tower is operational. Sounds like a nearby one went down.

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah sounds like a localised problem. Maybe they are upgrading the tower nearby or it's experiencing problems.

4. adazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, I'll call them tonight and ask them. I asked about general problems few days ago and they said there were none, but I'll specifically ask about their tower.

Funny thing is though, my cell phone works fine 2 floors below mine.

5. adazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Its working again. I had to switch to a 3G network, I thought that was only for data. Any case I think Fido's 2G tower just got weaker, and so I don't think it was the transmitter.

Thanks for pointing me towards the right direction!