a virtual touch wheel?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MatrixPrime, Sep 23, 2007.

1. MatrixPrime macrumors regular

So I've got my touch and I'm lovin' it, but it just doesn't seem like an ipod without that classic touch wheel. Would anyone have liked to have seen a "Virtual touch wheel" control on the screen, or am I alone in that?

2. AppleFan08 macrumors member

No. that would defeat the whole purpose of a TOUCH SCREEN ipod. If you want a clickwheel, buy a classic.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

it would be nice to have easier volume control yes

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

dude, thats why he said touch wheel NOT clickwheel...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Yeah, it would be sort of pointless, but wouldn't it be Neat if Apple included in a software update (with actually important software like mail, maps, and full calendar, hopefully) just for fun. That's actually something I can see them doing. It would sort of fit their character.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

buy an iphone

7. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

Some people don't want to buy a phone to use on an inferior network. Yes they are cool but not that cool. There is no reason for apple to withhold the mail and full calendar apps, there's also no reason for you to be so defensive.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

dude, its their product they can kinda do what they want

im just tired of hearing everyone complain about the missing apps

9. AppleFan08 macrumors member

Dude, you must have forgotten that the click wheels are touch sensitive! Its not like a zune where you have to click to do everything, so having a virtual touch wheel on the ipod wouldnt make any difference with controlling volume. Think about it, if you have a hard time controlling volume on a click wheel, youll have the same experience with a virtual one.

Dude, like i said earlier, get a classic if you want a wheel.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (i can do them too wooo)

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

in deed they are

you have to use your finger for the ipod touch too...

any different than what?

he dosent want an actual wheel, just a software one...

what's wrong with just having a "classic" mode?

have it in the music settings,
    "classic mode on/off"

that when when you go into music your little touchwheel pops up, and you can scroll and whatnot..

i think you are missing the point, the itouch is much more than just a ipod, its got safari and plays videos and whatnot, which a classic can not do...yes it plays videos but please the screen is tiny.

11. AppleFan08 macrumors member

I understand your logic, but think about it. Apple didn't create the ipod touch/iphone with a brand new interface just so they can send out a firmware update with a virtual click wheel option. Thats why they have two types now, ones with click wheels, and ones without. I think the only way the OP will ever get what he wants is if he creates a new firmware himself.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok, at least we're semi on the same page now

13. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

I know they can do what they want, and people can complain if they want. If apple thinks no one cares about not having mail and calendar then they'll never add it.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

I can't see apple putting a "touch wheel" on this iPod touch just because multitouch is so much more advanced. Its like having the option for manual windows on a ferarri.

15. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

well I'm sure Apple left it out for a reason :) I mean they do this for a living. :D

16. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The more pressure they got on this issue the more likely it is that they will cave in and provide this stuff.

17. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I see the online petition is being created now. lol

if Capcom will listen maybe Apple will?

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Per the click wheel, it would actually be cool if apple did a gesture based system that didn't require you to look at the screen. You could double tap the home button and then just slide your finger left or right to change the track, slide your finger up/down to change volume.

Shouldn't be hard (at all) to implement... make it something that can be turned on via settings menu (gestures when locked on/off).

19. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

you don't have to have a touch screen to have a touch wheel, my 4th gen ipod had a touch wheel

20. xerikx macrumors regular

"dude, its their product they can kinda do what they want"

your answer kind of answers why they're not doing it

it's been obvious that apple for some time wants to get rid of buttons, so once flash memory gets up there i bet touch wheel will be no more.

and you bitch about people wanting apps.. if you want a click wheel buy a classic and stop complaining

21. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

before they announced the iPod touch I was really hoping that it would have a virtual touch wheel, but once I got it I realized that the touch screen and its GUI are much better than a touch wheel, the scrooling is smoother and more precise. that was major selling point for me, not having a scrolling interface.

22. angelodmhl macrumors member

23. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

they can do it, whether or not they can or cant isnt the issue, the issue is ergonomics and efficiency

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

WHAT?!?

you are mis quoting me, i never said i wanted a click wheel (MatrixPrime did), and i have never bitched about apps, ive been defending apple for NOT putting apps on it

25. xerikx macrumors regular

How is what I said misquoting what you have said? All of the things I brought up were points going against your quotes...