A Virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OS X Dude, Jun 23, 2008.

1. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

hi

earlier today i removed a Ubuntu partition and a file named com.apple.dock.db by accident (the file not the partition lol)

now everytime i re-boot something happens - first time i lost all personal settings and my iWork asked me for the install code as if i'd never used it. Second time i lost my screensaver and the default icons in the menu bar are not visible yet are still accessible (randomly clicking broought up AirPort settings).

What's going on? A virus? Or is that file necessary? I have no back-up drive and i'm just waiting for the inevitable complete loss of data......

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

My guess is that you deleted an important file.

3. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

i since found that file loitering in /Library.... so it can't be that unless it's purpose is location specific....

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

What's the creation/modification date of the current version of the file? Sound like the system recreated it, but it's unpersonalized. You definitely do NOT have a virus.

5. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

7th decmber 2007 for both, yet i got this mac 25th dec 06 and never opened this file

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

My guess is you deleted more than you thought you did. Preference files get recreated after you delete them but you lose all the data (dock preferences, registration codes, etc).

So you don't have a virus. You just delete preferences files that you weren't supposed to.

7. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

so no harm done?

8. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I'd say so yeah, you've most likely deleted more than you should have. As the posters above have said, preferences files are recreated.

I'd say you're ok, just be more careful next time with what you delete :p

9. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude