A warning about the new Disk Utility

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by aevan, Jun 21, 2015.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Now, I don't know if this is just my specific case, even if the Disk Utility was to blame, but I'd like to share what happened - because someone may find it useful.

I already mentioned what happened in this thread. In short, I tried to create a Bootcamp partition with the Bootcamp assistant, it failed and told me to use Disk Utility to erase the bootcamp partition and try again. I tried to do this, but couldn't - I was left with a partition on the HDD part of my Fusion Drive that I just couldn't merge with the rest of the HDD. It would just give the "Operation Failed" message.

Not knowing what else to do, I created an Yosemite Install USB and booted from it. I didn't revert to Yosemite, but used the Disk Utility there instead (which is the old one). I easily merged the two partitions without loosing any data. Rebooted back to El Capitan DP1 and everything is fine now.

So, a warning - I don't know if anyone made a bootcamp partition from El Capitan, but the Disk Utility is possibly broken when it comes to repartitioning corevolume drives.

2. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

I had the same problem.

Simple fix: boot into single user mode, type "/sbin/fsck -fy" (without quotes). Reboot, and then retry in Disk Utility.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/05/fix-partition-failed-error-mac/

3. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

4. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

How did you get to the step where it partitions the disk in Boot Camp Assistant? I can't even get it to recognize any Windows install disc at all.

5. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

No problem :)

6. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

This (among some other steps) fixed my iMac's partitions up as well. Thanks a lot. :D

7. Aztek macrumors newbie

Aztek

Yes I'm have the same problems at the mo, bloody annoying..!

8. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Just something to add now to that rather old post.
    In my case as well the BootCamp of OSX 10.11 failed to install Windows.
    I had to reinstall temporarily Yosemite and use its working BootCamp until Windows was there.
    Then I cloned El Capitan back after erasing Yosemite.
    I am personally convinced that the "new" BootCamp which is supposed to do it without an external install drive is a total failure. :eek:
    Ed