A warning and a question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JohnCarcinogen, Aug 17, 2010.

1. JohnCarcinogen macrumors newbie

Firstly, a quick warning. I had a iPhone4 with ios4.01 that I had done the jailbreak on. I had vWallpaper installed. Last night I attempted to download what appeared to be a new wallpaper through their app. It caused my phone to completely freeze upon reboot. I could unlock it, but nothing else would open. I couldn't even access SBSettings to allow me to SSH into the phone, and try to fix it.

Of course I had to restore the phone, but sneaky-ass Apple made me upgrade to 4.02. So, the question is whether it's possible to break 4.02 yet. I know the Jailbreakme.com exploit won't work. What about Limera1n?

Questions, comments, hubris, and hyperbole are welcome.

2. adamsweeting macrumors regular

You're outta luck if you're on 4.0.2.

Did you not have your SHSH saved? You could have option / shift clicked in iTunes and restored to 4.0 or 4.0.1 if you did have them saved..... Too late now though I guess.

3. doeboynmek macrumors member

If he had them saved then he can still option/shift click and restore.

4. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Ah! Good point. Didn't think of that.

If you do have your SHSH saved on Saurik's server, then you can go back

5. JohnCarcinogen thread starter macrumors newbie

When I first did the Jailbreak I did sign up for the backup. When I was able to boot Cydia it did say that I had SHSH on file for 4.01. I never went to any backup site though. So I can still do this? That would make my day.

6. adamsweeting macrumors regular

If Cydia said that it has SHSH on file for this device for 4.0.1 - then you can shift / option click in iTunes and select the ipsw for 4.0.1

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

8. JohnCarcinogen thread starter macrumors newbie

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Apple was still signing 4.0.1 last night, (I did a restore at around 10:30 PM EST). YOu can just try downgrading using iTunes they may be still signing.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So sneaky Apple made you upgrade to 4.0.2? :D
    More like you clicked restore and update instead of downloading 4.0.1 and restoring to that.

11. JohnCarcinogen thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct sir. I panicked, and just wanted to make sure the phone worked. I had no idea I could select which FW to restore with. It didn't seem to give me an option. I followed the instructions above, and actually got an error, but a program called firmware umbrella saved me. Here's the link to the program:
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

And here is a link to a great tutorial on YouTube how to use it.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Just paying it forward. Hopefully someone can use this info. and I really appreciate all the help guys. Peace.