A warning for anyone visiting another country

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Nebrie, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3758803?start=0&tstart=0

A stern caution for anyone who is thinking of taking an un-American vacation abroad. Buried in the infamous iTunes terms of service, according to Apple, use of your iTunes account while not in your home country is illegal. While your carrier may offer an international data plan, don't you dare try to download a travel app.

Just like the guy in this Apple thread, my own account with thousands of dollars in purchases has been disabled after just 3 weeks out of the country. Returning to the US had no effect; even new cases filed with iTunes support are automatically blocked.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Been using a US iTunes account here for years. No problems.

3. Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

Wow. I didn't even take this post seriously until reading the link. What a scummy thing of them to do. (in before all the "its not their fault he broke Apple's rules!!!1 :mad::mad::mad:" and "Steve Jobs would have never allowed this" posts)

4. 184550 Guest

The user that submitted that thread admitted to being an expat who is only in the US for a month or two every year.

I think that a majority of us will be fine.

5. Nebrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said, I've only been out of the country for three weeks when I got this. I haven't been out of the country for over a year prior to that. I'm not living abroad like that guy.

This is the key phrase from their EULA: You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside this location. iTunes may use technologies to verify your compliance

If you even so much as accidentally tap on the iTunes app icon, you're in violation.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

That sucks. When living abroad I've always had problems with accessing the US iTunes store, but they never blocked/shut-down my account.

It seems after reading the link, that it would be best to contact Apple once you're back in the states.

7. Nebrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already back and already contacted them again. This is the fantastic response I received.

"We are unable to provide further information regarding this situation. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

For more information on Apple's requirements for using the iTunes Store, please refer to the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions:

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html"

8. brandyboot macrumors member

brandyboot

great... good to hear that... coz i never had a problem with my itunes and i'm out of the country most of the time..

9. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I had my account disabled/blocked

I had my account disabled/blocked
    When I was in China on vacation but I was able to re-enable it when I came back to the US.

This was just over a year ago so somethings could have changed in the Apple EUA.
    All I had to do is log into my account from the U.S. and put all my CC info back in.

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

just spent 6 weeks abroad and had no issues, including making purchases whilst o/s

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

FYI, this is done because of the government of certain countries want to control the information that the people of that country experience. This is not something that Apple has done because they felt like it, it is done so that they are legally allowed to have iTunes setup in those countries. If you don't use the iTunes account of that country, then you're violating the laws of that country and thus Apple can get banned / fined from doing business there. This is the same when it comes to movie and video game distribution; each country has their own set of laws that they studios have to abide by. If the studio doesn't they can get banned from selling there. It has nothing to do with the studio themselves.

This also explains why some people had no problems and others do. It depends on which country you go to. China is very strict with this and will actively pursue going after violators (example, look at Blizzard, for some time they were banned from selling Warcraft because the Undead looked too undead; so they released a patch, for China, that added more flesh to them.) Germany does this for Nazi material, it isn't allowed at all even in a negative manor. Australia has no red blood (I think that's what it is). Since Apple distributes video games and movies, they have to follow rules for BOTH of those industries.

(Cross posted for sharing of information)