A Warning for those of you installing XCode 3 and 4

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by wrldwzrd89, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you're going to do this and have XCode 3 installed at the default /Developer, you'll need to do 3 installs for things to work properly - namely, upgrade XCode 3 to 4, then install XCode 3 elsewhere, then reinstall XCode 4. If you do NOT do this, XCode 4 will crash immediately on launch with a plug-in error.

2. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Not quite sure I understand

Does your situation apply only if you're installing Xcode 4 to the default Developer directory?

I've installed the last few years of Xcode versions each to their own folder. For example I installed Xcode 3.1.3 to a folder named "Developer Xcode 3.1.3 SDK x.x". I'm not even sure what Xcode version is in "Developer".

So I installed Xcode 4 yesterday to the folder "Developer Xcode 4.0.0 SDK 4.3" and Xcode 4 started just fine.

Would I have a problem if I trashed the "Developer" folder?

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No, you'll be just fine with your setup. Only default installs are affected.

4. waynep macrumors 6502

Can't I just uninstall xcode 3 and then install xcode 4?

I am just beginning to use xcode 3 so I don't have any projects or anything that would be bothered.

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That works too. This warning only applies to people who require side-by-side installs of both.

6. tod macrumors regular

I installed XCode 4 in /xcode4, kept XCode 3 in /Developer, and had absolutely no problems.

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Never had any problems keeping them in separate folders, wouldn't ever recommend mixing them. That just could lead to trouble.

8. sapam, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

sapam macrumors newbie

I had recently installed XCode 3, but had not done any much with it. And am thinking of installing XCode 4, and am not thinking of going back to xcode 3.

I have XCode 3 installed in the default location which i think is the default Developer directory. And I would preferably want XCode 4 installed in the default directory too.

With it cause me any issue installing XCode 4 in the default directory when XCode 3 is already installed there.

What steps do i need to do the have a good installation of XCode 4?
    Or is there any thing i need to take care while installing XCode 4?

Any type of advice/suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Sapam

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What causes problems is installing XCode 3 AFTER XCode 4. Your particular situation will not lead to trouble.

10. sapam macrumors newbie

Okay..... then I guess its just a matter of installing XCode4 from AppStore, for me.

Thanks for the info which is really appreciated.

Regards,
    Sapam

11. lawsofphysics macrumors newbie

I have XCode 3 in the /Developer location and I am downloading XCode 4 as I write this. Please tell what next steps should I follow to:

Install XCode 4 to the default /Developer location AND
    Move Xcode 3 to a new folder named XCode 3.

Can this be done?
    Thanks!

12. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you download XCode 4 from the App Store? If you did, you cannot follow my procedure since there's no easy way that I know of to reinstall. If you got XCode 4 for free since you're a developer... then here's what you do:

There are two ways to approach this: Duplicate the XCode 3 install first, THEN upgrade one install to XCode 4, or the approach I outlined in my first post, which is to perform the upgrade first. There is, however, one gotcha with this process. Regardless of the order in which you do things... XCode 3 & 4 are going to stomp on each other's system tools unless you tell them not to do that, by unchecking System Tools in the custom install area when installing XCode 3.

13. sapam macrumors newbie

Well, I recently installed XCode 4 from the App Store.
    I already have XCode 3 installed prior.

What I found out is during install XCode4 installer detects the XCode 3 installation in the /Developer and it seems it made a copy/move /Developer to /Developer-old and made a Fresh copy of XCode4 in /Developer.

Regards,
    Sapam

14. lawsofphysics macrumors newbie

^ Yeah, I was relieved to see that. BTW, when you installed XCode 4 did the installer (after the download from macappstore) get stuck at any point of time?
    Mine is almost 99% completed and is now stuck there.

15. sapam macrumors newbie

Mine went pretty smooth and without any problem of getting stuck at some 90/99%. Maybe I was as lucky as others.

Regards,
    Sapam

16. jeff92677 macrumors newbie

How about Xcode 4 from scratch?

I just installed XCode 3 yesterday, and am just learning. So I don't need XCode 3 if XCode 4 can run without XCode 3 libraries, etc.

How do I uninstall, remove, expunge, delete, or clean out XCode 3.xx completely so I can install XCode 4 as though Xcode 3 never existed?

Is this even possible without reinstalling the entire operating system?

I started this command from terminal mode
    sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode-all

But it scanned so many things including printer things that I just closed the window figuring either (1) that command was going to totally screw up my MacBook Pro, or (2) that it might work, but scare the crap out of me in the process.

Help.

Jeff

17. petsounds macrumors 65816

Definitely did NOT do that in my case, but I downloaded the Xcode 4 .dmg from the Apple dev site. In my case, the Xcode 4 installer wrote over my Xcode 3 installation in the /Developer directory without asking. I had no idea it was going to overwrite Xcode 3. Unfortunately, Xcode 4 is complete pile of **** and I have crash errors constantly. It's hard to believe Apple engineers felt it was good enough to publicly release it.

18. sapam macrumors newbie

I also had XCode3 installed prior my XCode 4 Installation.
    I use Mac App Store to intall XCode 4 and it took care of XCode 3 by moving the entire /developer to /developer-old, and now only XCode 4 is present in /developer
    Am not sure whats the case with dmg based installation. But for me App Store based Installation was quite flawless and XCode just works great.

Regards,
    Sapam

19. Sir Lorad, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

Sir Lorad macrumors member

I downloaded xcode 4 from appstore with no problems, but during the installation I got stucked at 95/99% for over two hours.

What should I do?

No ituneshelper problem detected.

Just stucked at 99%.

Please help. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have the same issue, stucked at 99%. What should I do?

_________

Found this page with a workaround for 99% stuck.

http://jasonirwin.ca/2011/04/03/xcode-4-0-1-and-the-99-problem/