A warranty question?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by henkki, Apr 23, 2008.

1. henkki macrumors newbie

so, here's the deal

my friend bought a macbook about two weeks ago. She really loved it. But a few days ago, the screen went completely blank, and she took it out for repair. Today, she was informed that some liquid had gotten in , and it would be cheaper to get a new one rather than fixing the old one. Now she has no clue how this happened cause she hadnt spilled anything on her macbook. Now, my question is, is this under warranty or just a case of bad luck?

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Was it new? Purchased from where?
    Out where?
    It's hard to determine how the liquid got inside and techs can't assume how it got it. Water damage typically isn't covered under normal warranties but others might know more than I.

If it was brand new and only a few days old and a tech said liquid had gotten inside. The tech would assume that carelessness (whether or not your friend is honest is besides the point) was the cause. This is a mentality under pretty much ANY warranty/tech area, not just Apple. Even the guys at Best Buy told me "trust me, we'll know if you put liquid it in."

If it was a couple days old, and purchased brand new from an Applestore, it's a 14 day return NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Technically they shouldn't even be troubleshooting it, just explain, it don't work, I want a replacement.

However, that not being the case, your friend might be out of luck since they already determined what the cause was... sorry :(

3. henkki thread starter macrumors newbie

she had gotten a brand new one. the tech had just told her that there was some liquid, nothing about how much, but apparently the damage had already been done... then i talked to a buddy of mine and he basically said that if even a drop of water lands on the wrong spot, that might be it for that unit... any thoughts?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Of course - one drop of water bridging two circuits carrying voltage can fry the machine. It's not a matter of how much water.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

He's right.

Still Brand new from where? I guess it's moot since a 'tech' (not knowing what tech) took open a brand new machine and found fault (again, not claiming your friend is guilty, thats moot at this point) and that more than likely voids any warranty.

Anything from:

Rain drops, condensation from glass while drinking over the keyboard, drooling (don't laugh LOL.... ok go ahead), deliberate spillage, accidental horseplay (watergun), unknown drip from ANYTHING.

Stinks yes. But it's about the normal from any warranty. Dell included (been though this one with an old Inspiron)

6. henkki thread starter macrumors newbie

she got it from a electronics store in Helsinki and took it to the local mac licensed tech...

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Damn that really bites. Apple Stores have a 14day return policy. It's been pretty much said by other MR members "14 days no questions asked" which has been proven true by MR Members.

I think she might be out of luck since the electronics store had no return policy. Such a sad experience with a MB. :(

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Her only hope now is to grab a new LCD on eBay and do the repair herself. Apple will charge an arm and a leg.

9. eman macrumors 6502a

If you're lucky, maybe just the inverter went out. The inverter is not real expensive and can be replaced. When the macbook is on, shine a flashlight at the LCD screen and see if you can faintly see the desktop. Can you boot to an external monitor and see the desktop?

10. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Maybe consider buying AppleCare? It's very nice to have

11. eman macrumors 6502a

Apple's limited warranty and Applecare do not cover liquid damage.