A way to avoid sleep when the lid closes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kiwishake, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kiwishake macrumors newbie

Hey,

I was just wondering, is there any way to set the mbp (late 08) in such a way that when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep but stays on normally. I'm asking because I often leave it on for nights to keep certain things running (like utorrent.. :p) but would like to avoid the inevitable dust from getting on the keyboard.

Thanks!

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

3. kiwishake thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Good-Apollo macrumors newbie

I would recommend against this, I was told that the reason why they don't have a function built in, is because the macbook dispenses most of its heat through the keyboard, and having it running while the lid closes increases the heat and can cause it to overheat quite considerably

5. DLH macrumors member

Not ture. Running a MB/PBP with the lid closed is fully supported by Apple.

See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1308

6. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

In that article it tells you how to run your MB with an external and the shell closed,

is there a way to just have my MB start up to my external (I have a nice 22" monitor) without having to sleep it, and then wake it up every time?

I could just leave it plugged in, but then I would never be able to turn on my computer after I shut it down.

7. erstwhilepo macrumors member

I use my MacBook almost 100% of the time closed while utilizing an external display. Never had any problems with heat or excessive fan RPM.

8. erstwhilepo macrumors member

Not sure I get what you mean.

When you turn on your MB and then close the screen, your desktop will appear on your display if one is connected. It is as simple as that.

If you power down, you would need to open up the MB and repeat this process because it's the only way to access the power button.