A way to kill MBA by power button twice quickly

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ppolon, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ppolon macrumors newbie

Recently, the Mavericks changed the function of power button from showing up a shutdown menu to going to sleep right away.
    Here is a quick way to kill your MBA. If you press the power button to make it go to sleep. Quickly press the power button (to wake it up) again. Highly likely you will see the keyboard light is on and the computer is hanged.

I thought it's a machine failure and changed it to other MBA. But it happens again with the new machine.

I guess it's because too much quick attempt to wake it up makes the OS hanged.

Anyone has a different opinion?

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

It would be interesting to view the system log, and see if an error was written there.

3. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

This isn't necessarily Mavericks, or even MacBook Air, related, this behavior has been around for several years. I've seen this on all of Apple's portables, from the mid/late iBook/PowerBooks up to current MacBook Airs & Pros.

You put the Mac to sleep (either by the keyboard shortcut or by closing the display) and then quickly wake within 2-5 seconds (open the display, tap a key, etc). More often than not it will hang with a black screen. Usually the only sign of life is a responsive cap locks key. You have to hold the power button for 10~ seconds to shut it down and then press it again to power it back on. Sometimes you can close the display to trigger sleep again, wait a minute or so and re-open the display, but a lot of the time it remains hung.

My guess has always been that the sleep image is corrupted.

4. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

I am having a similar issue. Mine doesn't do it however when the power button is pressed quickly. My MBA 13" mid-2013 hangs/crashes when I attempt to wake it right after the display turns off and it begins to go to sleep on it's own due to inactivity. This issue has been happening since Mountain Lion. If I attempt to wake it up by rubbing the trackpad, or pressing a key, the display remains off, but the keyboard backlight is stuck on. The Fkey functions do not respond, and the caps lock key does not light up. The only way to recover is a force shutdown by holding the power button, and reboot. I have checked the logs, and there is no error that I can tell, and no kernel panic. I have reset the SMC and the PRAM, I have also verified the disk and permissions with disk utility.

5. ppolon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice. It really helps. I reported it to Amazon where I bought. They gave me a replacement. :( I need to ship the original one back to them, which has no problem.

The best way to prevent of pressing the power button was to make the power button show the option window. But the Mavericks changes the default and there is no way to go back.

6. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

I have made an interesting finding on my MBA. The issue doesn't seem to happen when I do a safe boot. However, something else happens. If I quickly attempt to wake it from sleep in safe boot, the display backlight comes on, but no picture on the screen, it's just black; however after a few seconds it will either come back normally, or the backlight will turn back off, and I can press a button to wake it up normally. I can also just shut the lid and open it again, and it will come back. I then boot back up into a normal boot, and the issue of it hard locking is still there, with no way to recover.