Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tonywong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I just got the new iPad 3(not willingly, I was going for android for more productivity) now I am planning to transform it to a mobile workstation, is there any way I can transfer files from my company's computer (intranet, no wifi, no outbound email, admin restricted) only option to get the files out are USB, is there a way or I should seek an android device to solve my need?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Ummmm, the op said no outbound email...

----------

Sounds like Dropbox is out of bounds, that would be my recommendation. Maybe write it to a sd chip and the use the camera connection kit for the IPad?

That only works for pictures...

----------

I just got the new iPad 3(not willingly, I was going for android for more productivity) now I am planning to transform it to a mobile workstation, is there any way I can transfer files from my company's computer (intranet, no wifi, no outbound email, admin restricted) only option to get the files out are USB, is there a way or I should seek an android device to solve my need?

Android or jailbreak.

Tonywong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Sounds like Dropbox is out of bounds, that would be my recommendation. Maybe write it to a sd chip and the use the camera connection kit for the IPad?

Yup bought it and tried it, but it won't read anything except photos. Dropbox is out, my last option might be jailbreak? Hope I can find a better solution:(

intofx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Goodreader is the best app out there. Transfer files through iTunes via USB cable.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yup bought it and tried it, but it won't read anything except photos. Dropbox is out, my last option might be jailbreak? Hope I can find a better solution:(

Without wifi you can't get your PC and the iPad on the same network. Through cellular it would have to be an external server, but you said Dropbox is out. So USB is the only way, and Apple doesn't allow access to the file system. So unfortunately jailbreaking is the only alternative if our want to stick with iOS.

----------

Goodreader is the best app out there. Transfer files through iTunes via USB cable.

I doubt he can get iTunes on an admin restricted PC.

intofx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
If the only option is a USB stick then the only option at the moment is to transfer to the stick and go to another computer to transfer to the iPad. Until a jailbreak is out.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I'm quite amazed at how little MacRumors members know about things like this...

Here's a solution:

1) Get this USB flash drive: http://www.hypershop.com/category-s/210.htm
2) Get its app.

Now you can use the app to browse files inside that drive, and transfer the Excel documents to some other app to edit spreadsheets like QuickOffice.

No WIFI, no iTunes, no jailbreak, nothing else, just pure USB.

Last edited:

intofx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010

Here's a solution:

1) Get the Camera Connection Kit
2) Get this USB flash drive: http://www.hypershop.com/category-s/210.htm
3) Get its app.

Now you can use the app to browse files inside that drive, and transfer the Excel documents to some other app to edit spreadsheets like QuickOffice.

Why do you need the camera connection kit? It has A USB and 30 pin connector.
At $99+ its is a expensive option.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Why do you need the camera connection kit? It has A USB and 30 pin connector?
At $99+ is is a expensive option.

Sorry, I "instinctively" included the CCK because the CCK can be used for other things.

And $99 or not, it's a solution. It means you don't have to get an Android tablet or jailbreak to get something to work.

When this is more widespread, you'll begin to see Chinese knockoffs for lower than $99, but they'll probably work just about the same.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Or this, here, straight to the iPad, no jailbreak or other equipment needed, and no, I'm not on commission :)

That's just for pictures.

----------

Here's a solution:

2) Get its app.

Wow. This is very intriguing....

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC

Here's a solution:

2) Get its app.

Wow that is pretty cool and would solve quite some problems for some people that I know.

Thank you for the link.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Just a word of warning here, it is a sackable offence to do what you are trying to do at my company.

The work computer is likely locked down for a reason, an moving company data outside of their equipment could be interpreted in a number of ways.

I would discuss with your IT department before doing anything!

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I've used my connors wireless intranet to transfer a lot of files using Goodreader.

Goodreader and other apps assign themselves a wireless ip address to do this and while appear as a folder on your desktop.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Would Goodreader and USB connection work? I don't have goodreader yet but I'm thinking about getting it.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Here's what I would do, Wifi USB plug and play, ad-hoc connection to iPad, quickoffice web browser file transfer. This is however a pretty rough way to do it. There are much better methods but none that I can post online.

As Pheo mentioned, it is a sackable offense at many offices and if you were my employee, I would probably double-tap you.

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD

Here's a solution:

2) Get its app.

Thanks for the link, I was unaware of this solution, my order is in already! Now if we could just get MS Office for the IPad...

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I think it's worth noting that if you were to go with the HyperDrive solution, there is a weird bug with the app that temporarily disables all connections (WIFI, cellular, GPS, etc...) on the device until you exit the app.

It's not an issue if your workplace is so locked down that you can only get files out via USB, but... I would recommend against it if you need an active internet connection for any reason at all, or at least be warned of this "fault".

Tonywong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Just a word of warning here, it is a sackable offence to do what you are trying to do at my company.

The work computer is likely locked down for a reason, an moving company data outside of their equipment could be interpreted in a number of ways.

I would discuss with your IT department before doing anything!

The truth is, i worked in a retail store where they have an intranet computer to share any new promotions or changes in the office. My job is to produce weekly business analysis and staff roster and send them from my shop email to my boss, who has an intranet email account. Its a common practice for supervisors like us to bring home the documents so not a 'sackable' issue

Sorry, I "instinctively" included the CCK because the CCK can be used for other things.

And $99 or not, it's a solution. It means you don't have to get an Android tablet or jailbreak to get something to work.

When this is more widespread, you'll begin to see Chinese knockoffs for lower than $99, but they'll probably work just about the same.
I got the knockoff cck for $5 :p , works well until your ipad gets online, where I would be block by apple 'this accessory is not supported by iPad' :(

Without wifi you can't get your PC and the iPad on the same network. Through cellular it would have to be an external server, but you said Dropbox is out. So USB is the only way, and Apple doesn't allow access to the file system. So unfortunately jailbreaking is the only alternative if our want to stick with iOS.

----------

I doubt he can get iTunes on an admin restricted PC.
yup, no iTunes or software installation either.

Thanks for all the opinion guys, I will think about trying the iflashdrive or the wifi USB drive I saw earlier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.