Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Hi All,

As the title says, I'm wondering if there is a way as an iOS 7.1.2 user to trick the app store into being on iOS 8 so I can download pokemon go. :(.

I'm aware of ways to trick certain apps into thinking your are not jailbroken, but I haven't heard of a way to trick iOS 8 version for this.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Cheers

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Reddit Post said:
Step Download and install iFile from Cydia
Open it and go to system/Library/CoreServices and open the SystemVersion.plist
Edit the Version + the Build number of the version you want to spoof to
Save it and restart your ios device ( it'll get stuck on the bootlogo, dont be scarry!)
Reboot your Phone, by pressing the power&home Button at the Same Time !!!Be sure to hold your volume up Button after the respring to enter No Substrate Mode!!!
Now you'll see a screen that says "slide to Update"
Just swipe and enter your passcode, if you got one (Dont be scarred it will NOT Update anything) btw. It will not Need any internet usage !
After the Update Bar ️ is at the end you'll Boot in ️ no substrate Mode
Now turn your iPhone off and back in to leave ️no Substrate Mode
Now your system Version ️ Is official Spoofed ! :)
You'll need to look up the build number for 7.1.2 as you need it to be exact. I've done this before and it worked to spoof my iOS version. NOTE: Pokémon Go may not work on your device even if you do manage to download it. It may use frameworks or APIs that require iOS 8, so beware of crashes or broken functionality

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
You'll need to look up the build number for 7.1.2 as you need it to be exact. I've done this before and it worked to spoof my iOS version. NOTE: Pokémon Go may not work on your device even if you do manage to download it. It may use frameworks or APIs that require iOS 8, so beware of crashes or broken functionality

So I tried this and when doing it the app store doesn't work. As in nothing loads from apple. Almost like apple knows someone is trying to trick the system so they don't load any information into the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.