A weighty issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Templarp1800, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Templarp1800 macrumors newbie

The new iPad air weighs 1.3 pounds.
    The new macbook pro retina 15'' weighs 4.6lbs.

Don't you think it would have been possible to take at least a pound of weight off the macbook, or do you feel that is still a product differentiation point for Apple?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You are talking about two completely different devices, with different capabilities and different components. There is no way you can make a reasonable comparison between the two, as far as weight or size is concerned. Where would you suggest they remove a pound of weight from the MacBook Pro?

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The screen? I'm also concerned that these day's people think that ~5lbs is too heavy to carry.

4. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

A keyboard and no screen? Well I guess that would make sense if you could dock the pad Asus transformer style ;)

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I suspect that if Apple could have made the MBP any lighter it would have done.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Small point...I believe the iPad Air is 1.0 pounds.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You're comparing the weight of a tablet with a great ARM processor to a laptop with a great laptop processor. Just that alone is a huge difference. Then you add the keyboard, bigger battery, and other internals that an iPad doesn't have and you get more weight.

8. rMBP2013 macrumors member

No, it's not possible because you're comparing an iOS device against an OSX which is a fully-fledged computer.

Will laptops get lighter over the next few years? Absolutely. But they will never be as light as the lightest tablet for reasons explained earlier.

9. kombo macrumors newbie

I agree with the OP.

There's really no reason why the MBP should weigh more than a turkey feather.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Are you confusing the iPad Air with the MacBook Air? :confused: The iPad Air weighs 1 pound - not 1.3.

11. Markrose macrumors newbie