A weird 10.4.10 problem no-one else seems to have...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iNeko, Jun 21, 2007.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

A quick warning, this is a long ol' post...

CD Macbook Pro updated fine using the delta (very fast too, I was impressed) everything feels a bit faster - especially program launching, wow.

Anyway, on to the problem, the Mac Mini updated again with the delta and took near a millennium to restart. It was about 15 minutes until it restarted the first time, then about 5 before the second. After restarting for the second time, the logon screen appeared quite quickly and I logged in. I was greated by a small window, playing the "Welcome to OS X" video. I could do nothing except watch this video, all the menus were greyed out, dock wouldn't respond, and the keyboard wouldn't respond. I let it play through, I registered the computer again and when I clicked finish, it just stayed there.

I managed to quit it in the end (after the video I regained use of my keyboard) however all my menus were still greyed out, Finder, iTunes, Safari, any program I opened all the menu lists were greyed out.

I got to disk util in the end and verified permissions - there was nothing to fix, but after it had checked them, all my menus came back... I logged out and in again and it was fine. Maybe it was because I had recently done an Archive and Install on it?

Also, when I put it to sleep before I went to bed, it sprang on as though I'd hit the keyboard and it did this three times before it stayed asleep - it's never done that before...

It's amazing that two Core Duo machines can act so differently with the same update

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I had this happen on one machine when they rolled out 10.4.9. IIRC apple-Q did work that time. No harm done other than some temporarily frazzled nerves though.

(incidentally that one was tough to google, couldn't remember how many 'o's were in WOOOOoooo.)

3. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

:) Thanks, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who had such a bizarre issue - I thought I was going mad, and I had the speakers on loud also (certainly a shock at ten to midnight! World ending, that sort of thing)