A weird battery issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Becutan, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Becutan macrumors newbie

So guys, for the last two weeks I notice something pretty strange.
    My batter usually last a day with WiFi an Cellular data on all the time and the normal abuse. The phone hits 1% and it dies so I plug it in and turns on at 4-5% battery.
    The last two weeks my phone shuts down at 10% battery or 7% battery, OK.
    So I plug it in and it immediately shows the Apple logo, the phone turn on with about 8% battery.
    This is really annoying!! I am using an iPhone with with iOS 7.0.4
    What could be the issue? This wasn't happening when I first installed iOS 7 a couple of months back..

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

what iphone is it and how old is it. is the battery degrading?

3. BadLTD macrumors member

I am having the same issue with my iPhone 5 and it really is getting annoying. It dies way to quick I have everything off from Location Services to background app refresh & it still dies. I have a strong feeling it could be the phone itself or this cold weather we have been experiencing in New York.

4. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I've watched my phone jump from 38% to 15% this is a serious issue. Whether its software or hardware and apple needs to address it.

I've had my phone die completely at 30 something percent. Uncalled for. These aren't droids!! :p

5. BadLTD macrumors member

Same here bro I did not spend all this money for a phone thats going to die on me when I really need it. What if there is some sort of emergency..o wait sorry can't call for help my phones dead. :mad:

6. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Ya I feel bad for u guys- I know how it feels except it happens on my iPod touch. I would replace the battery- I just wish it wasn't so costly- apple really likes to rip of people with iPhone troubles- don't u think?

7. BadLTD macrumors member

Yeah & I took my iPhone to Apple and they wanted me to pay $100-$250+ for a new phone. I told them no, I already spent about $600+ for this one now I gotta pay for a replacement. They need to step up their warranty game.

8. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I know it is just insane how much money they try to suck out of you after buying one of there already expensive products. I have a lot of apple products (more than 10) and so obviously I've spent lots of $$$ and now they want me to pay $100+ just to replace my battery- where is the love? They can't be nice to their loyal customers?

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If the temps are outside of the stated range then yes they could be messing with the system. Make sure you are keeping it backed up and try to take it in just to be certain

----------

The only way they would be charging you that is if it was damaged, which isn't a warranty issue. Or out of warranty, which again isn't a warranty issue.

Regardless of your opinion about them having a longer warranty they don't at the moment. And if you are going to drop six bills or higher on something it is on you to know the warranty, what it covers and decide to buy an extension or not. If you are aware of the limited period and choose not to buy additional coverage when it is offered, that is your issue if something happens once the warranty is out

----------

Batteries are a consumable, they are not covered under warranties unless they consume at a rate that is well below stated specs. This is standard for rechargeable batteries whether they are computer, phone, car etc

And they are offering you a half price replacement of a full device because they can't open an iPod to simply replace the battery. The other choice is to tell you to go buy a brand new retail one at 200-400% the cost.

10. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

They can easily open an iphone it is just a few screws then they put a new battery in and your good to go...

11. SunnyFL macrumors regular

I had mine shut down as soon as it popped up the first low battery notification. Seems like I'll be at 40% A down to less then 20 in a matter of minutes. This has just started within the last few weeks. on my 5

12. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Battery replacement

Have seen many OEM batteries available on eBay. Does replacing a battery void the warranty? How would they know?

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

They can open the phone and see.

14. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I had this exact problem with my 5. My recommendation is take it to apple store and have them run diagnostics.

Mine came back as a degraded battery. So I took it home, ordered and changed the battery myself. Cost me little over $16. Now my battery life is great and I don't get random shutdowns after 40%