A windows Graphics card in an old MacPro 2008?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Akula971, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

My trusty old HD4870 card has died after many years of use. I need a new graphics card. I need advice. You see I don't use this old machine for anything other than playing games on now. Games running in Windows 7 SP1. It has no OSX software on it hard drive at all. From boot it goes, after a short pause straight into windows. I now do all my work on a MacMini.

I am loathed to shell out a huge wad of cash on a new gaming rig, and wonder that since the Mac Pro has a PCI express 2.0 slot for graphics cards, can I just put any Windows graphics card in? If it is possible, I would not be bothered if I could no longer use it in OSX ever again. This really is its last gasp/chance.

2. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

If it's a 2008 8-Core, I have one too. You can put in a PC GTX 970 and have a really good experience gaming at up to 1440p resolution. This setup can max out all but the most demanding games. Eg. I was playing Bioshock infinite yesterday, completely maxed out at 1440p gets 80-100 fps.

You need to pick one with either 2x 6 pin power, or 1x 8pin. DO NOT USE 1x6 and 1x8 together cards! If it helps I use the ASUS STRIX 970, it has one 8 pin and works perfectly. You'll need appropriate power cable adapters which can be found cheaply.

You will still be able to boot OS X with this setup, but you'll lose the grey screen upon boot.

For much more in depth reading the above linked thread is great.

3. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

AFAIK you have to deinstall ATI drivers and install nvidia web drivers in Windows 7 before you can install a Nvidia GTX card.