A Windows XP/Vista Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Yes, I know it's not a Mac question, but I don't have Windoze questions often enough (nor do I care to) to join a Windoze forum...

I friend has asked me to downgrade her Windoze Vista laptop back to XP (gee, I can't imagine why! :rolleyes:). I've ordered the rollback disks from Lenovo (what does it say that manufacturers are now supplying 'roll back to XP' disks upon request?) and I'm waiting for them to arrive.

If I back up her files using the "Backup and Restore Center" in Vista, will I be able to restore them under XP after I downgrade the computer to XP? In other words, is there an equivalent Backup and Restore Center in XP that will be able to read these disks and restore the data?

2. Parsec macrumors member

I've never tried it, but I can imagine that it would be compatible. Perhaps Vista has an option for you to select which OS you would be migrating to. If not, it might be interchangeable. Then again....it may not.

My suggestion is to back it up manually on an external hard drive (or other partition)(don't forget the email).

You could contact Lenovo about your procedure since they probably have more experience with this sort of thing by now.

Later, Parsec

3. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

To avoid possible loss of data I would dump the files to CD/DVD/Memory stick/External HD. And I think the name of that OS is Windows XP. Or do I climb up the ranks if I start calling it Windoze as well :p :p :p

4. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I have seen this with my daughters and husbands vista comps. check and see if her programs or files are compatible with XP. Some may not be.

6. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Backup your documents and such onto a Flash Drive and Install XP and reinstal your apps and then bring back the documents... Going backwards is always dangerious. Espectially with Visa because a lot of it was designed for a New File System that never got put in. A Vista Backup program may have extra iformation saved that XP will not understand.

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

External HDD/DVD all the way
    Make sure the filetypes are supported by XP though (New Office 2007 files for example)

8. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Office and Windows are not the same. Office 2007 runs on XP as well.