A word about Classic...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deboni, Oct 28, 2007.

1. deboni macrumors member

deboni

I haven't upgraded to Leopard, yet, but hope to do so in the near future. However, I see in these fora that Classic is no longer supported in 10.5. This is a shame. I have applications (some from the Pre-Power PC 68020 days!) that still work just fine under classic (Cricket Graph is one, SuperPaint is another), and whose functions and ease of use have not been duplicated since they were killed off. I can't believe I'm the only one who can say this.

I know software must evolve, but it's still kind of a shame to see worthy stuff discarded while still useful. Therefore, I find myself wondering what it would take (perhaps in the open-source community) to keep Classic working. Heck, I'd even consider buying it as a separate app, if it were available that way.

Emulators have long been used for keeping old software alive, and Classic is a pretty good one.

For the time being, I'm going to have to try to put 10.4.10 on an external drive before I upgrade my main drive to 10.5, and that may be troublesome. I've usually had poor luck with CCCloner making bootable clones; it claims to do so, but I've seldom been able to actually boot from one.

T. M. DeBoni
    tomdeboni@mac.com

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

CCC works just fine for me, but I'll confess that I dumped classic long ago - I haven't had it installed since OS X 10.2 came out...

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can install Leopard and also run a partition with Tiger and Classic.

4. ivnj macrumors 65816

If you're on intel then you can't run classic even with 10.4. Intels don't support classic. But sheepshaver is awsome.

Or I have 2 lombard laptop sitting at home collecting dust. 12gb hd, 256mb ram, one 333, one 400mhz cpu. Can run all the classic you want. Both work. I'd love to sell for a reasonable price to someone.

ivnj

5. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Yeah I was kinda bummed out that Leopard dropped support for Classic. Maybe I'll look into one of those alternatives.