Resolved A Word Of Warning

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Macman45, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Macman45, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

About Flickr. Don't. They have just taken unsolicited funds from my account, and refuse to answer my emails.....

Be careful with Yahoo...It sucks.

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Have not used flickr in YEARS, I didn't even know they charged for anything. Why did they have your credit card info?

3. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I have a free account but I'm not too convinced on the security of my pics. Sure, I know that if someone knows what they are doing they can always get hold of them from any site. But it just seems too easy with Flickr. They do a good job at keeping quality in tact but I might look for another option.

I dont sell any work but its more about the principal of my work being mine.

4. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Okay

I misread the T and C's and paid for more storage (you get 300mb a month free) what I didn't notice cause it's in the small print is that you buy extra space so they took my cc details and charged.

I've sorted it out now, but if you want to upload large pictures, it's not the place to be. Anyone suggest a good free site where I can upload more than 300MB? I don't mind paying a bit for it?

5. chown33 macrumors 604

It's not free, but the price for Amazon's S3 storage is quite low. It might cost you a few cents a month for 300 MB. Current pricing is 14 cents for 1 GB for an entire month. Minimum pricing is 1 cent.

Several apps can read and write to S3. I use CyberDuck. It shouldn't be hard to google up a few others.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Smugmug. It's $50/year (or something like that... maybe 40) but it is by far the best photo storage/sharing site around.

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Those Are US

Prices? Amazon don't seem to have an option in the UK, the only other options are either Flas dependent or full of junk sex ads.

Photo bucket is one, but it has all the iffy ads....guess I will have to stick with Flickr for now unless anyone in the UK knows differently.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Photobucket seems to be buggy for the Photo of the Day posters who use it. Sometimes the main photo just doesn't show and they have to post a thumbnail from the MR server to make sure something shows. It doesn't sound like a great place to keep your photos. 500px.com is something to check out. I don't use it, but some of the top tier photographers on the forum do and they like it.

My question is why you want to upload large file sizes to the Net and what "large" is to you. My flickr uploads are 1200X800 and the file sizes are around 6 MB. I set them to 300 dpi if I upload from PhotoShop, but keep the physical size small. If they come out of Aperture, then the dpi is set to to 96. Someone could print a postcard from them but a large print would not have very good detail so I don't worry about anyone making money off my public work.

If what you are looking for is remote storage for a photo backup, I would just go with a portable HD that you toss in your pocket when you leave your main computer. If you just want to do photo sharing, then you don't need large file sizes.

I have a Flickr Pro account. It costs me $25 per year for unlimited uploads.

Dale